Saturday, February 12, 2011

Me Made March 2011

"I, Sarah from Rhinestones & Telephones, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-March '11. I endeavour to wear two handmade/thrifted/refashioned pieces of clothing or accessories each day for the duration of March 2011."

I've signed up for Me Made March 2011 and I'm both excited and nervous. Self-Stitched September was less than successful for me, but I think that was due to a lack of seasonally appropriate garments more than anything else.

Since starting my Building a Lifetime Wardrobe project, my sewing has become much more focused and I feel much more confident about being ready for this challenge.


Looking at my Fall/Winter wardrobe capsule, I have the following:
  • Long sleeved red cardigan. I dyed a cream one that I never wore a rich scarlet. I can see this getting lots of wear, given my love of layering.
  • Short sleeved purple shrug, made by my Knitting Queens.
  • Long sleeved black cardigan. My Knitting Queens are making this for me from this pattern.
  • My scissors skirt.
  • Green twirl skirt.
  • Swing style trousers from Heyday.
  • Thrifted skinny jeans.
  • Black cowl neck dress from Econica.
  • Thrifted red wool coat ($10!!)
  • Black and white stripe knit scarf
Looking at that list, it is heartening to see that almost every item is either handmade by me or by an independent designer. Should the weather take a warm turn (one can dream, can't one?), I have the following from my Spring/Summer wardrobe capsule:


  • White peasant top
  • Black pencil skirt
  • Shrugs and cardigans (handmade by my Knitting Queens)
For Me Made March, I plan to make:
I may make more things, but I don't want to over schedule myself and then freak out (LOL!). Have you signed up for Me Made March?

7 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

Yay! Lots of fun together!! I have signed up as well, although I am feeling less organised than you. I can see where planning gets you having read your post. I have some last minute sewing to do as well & have given up on the "fantasy" of having managed to knit myself anything!! Look forward to sharing MMMar with you x

Sølvi said...

Hurrah for MMMar! I am in, and are planning to wear mostly handmade stuff, I really hope to finish a coat for this, (and that the weather don´t get too cold for it). Looks like you are organized, and ready to roll! :-)

angie.a said...

Ooh, I have that Butterick skirt's Simplicity cousin! I have it out too, for some tan or red miniwale corduroy (or both!) I haven't decided about MMM...maybe? I did crap at both MMMay and SSSEpt. CRAP I tell you. I hate feeling pressured, and I'm in a groove right now so probably not. But I'll be following your progress!

Liz said...

Wow! I love the idea of this, but I don't think I have enough things I've made to join in - unless I counted wearing handknitted socks each day. Perhaps I should aim to have enough items to do this next year.

Lynne Williams said...

Today while doing my housework I shall ponder whether I can do this. Its the two items that scare me the most, as I am pretty sure that I could pull off one...but my handmade accessories stash is woefully inadequate....hmm that sounds like an issue that needs to be addressed.

Love your wardrobes my dear, so stylish, it makes we want to take you to tea.

Sarah said...

@Scruffy - Hooray for MMMarch!

@Solvi - Glad you're on board, too! I'm looking forward to seeing your coat. :)

@angie.a - I vote for red! Red is a terrific colour. :)

@Liz - It's a great idea, isn't it? You can change the pledge to suit you - one item per day is just fine. :)

@Lynne - Thank you for your compliments! :) You can always wear one handmade item per day. It's fun!

Amanda said...

I just signed up for MMM too! I've never done one before, partly because I didn't have enough handmade items, but also because posting photos of myself every day for a month kinda scares me :) I'm really pushing myself with this challenge, creatively and personally!