Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Fall Essentials Sew-Along


EDIT:
The code for posting the button is fixed. Thanks for your patience :)

Sew-alongs are one of many things I enjoy as part of the online sewing community. The camaraderie is wonderful, the encouragement is fabulous, and the feeling that I can make anything I set my mind to is fantastic.


One of my very first sew-along experiences was participating in Ali's first Summer Essentials Sew-Along and it was simply wonderful! Distilling my projects into comprehensive categories made me feel super-organized and I ended up being at my most productive! I was very much looking forward to participating for the second year in a row when Ali asked me to co-host this year's sew-along with both herself and Alessa. I jumped at the chance and was again inspired and encouraged by all of the participants.

Wanting the camaraderie to carry into the fall and winter seasons, Ali, Alessa, and I cooked up the first Fall Essentials Sew-Along together!


ABOUT THE SEW-ALONG
Fall is often a very busy season for many of us, filled with activities that often have us running hither and yon. Making your items should be a form of relaxation; a time to slow down and enjoy the creative process.

The goal: Stock your wardrobe with quality pieces that you will wear again and again.

The benefit: A group of creative people who will encourage and inspire you, not to mention talk you off the ledge when you need it!

We have come up with seven categories of fall/winter wear. Feel free to add to them!


Fashionable Foundations for Frosty Weather
Trousers, skirts, legwarmers and more! Anything that keeps your lower portion fashionably cozy fits perfectly here! The chilly weather necessitates the donning of bifurcated bottoms and sassy skirts!

Chic Chemises for Cool Climates
Blouses, tops, vests, cardigans, and sweaters! These wardrobe essentials can carry you from day to night, not to mention provide necessary layering to keep out the chill.


Fabulous Frocks
Dresses of all styles; mini, short, or long! Keep yourself warm in your modish designs, layering with tights and boots!

Underneath It All
When you're spending months covered from the neck down, a glamorous underpinning of your choice adds a secret, luxurious touch that chases the cold away!

Tender Tootsies
Let's not forget your frosty feet! Socks, slippers and the like are the order of the day. Keep those tootsies warm and dry!


Those Cozy Nights
Is there anything better than snuggling up in a cozy pair of pajamas with a hot drink and a book whilst Jack Frost works his magic outside? I think not! Sleepwear of all types are the way to go here!

Baby It's Cold Outside
Coats, hats, and mittens donned to keep the cold at bay, especially when out enjoying the spectacular fall colours!

* * * * *

I am tying this sew-along in with Colette Patterns' Fall Palette Challenge. I know I won't get everything done within the 8 week time frame, but I'm sure going to have a good time!

Colette Patterns Fall Palette Challenge

* * * * *

JOIN US
We hope you'll join us as we create ourselves cozy! Copy the code below and paste the button on your blog or website. Please leave a comment so we can follow your progress!





Participants are listed in my menu bar under 'FESA.' If you don't see your name, please email me and I'll add you straight away. Join the Flickr group here.

To see my sew-along progress, click here. To see my sewing/knitting plan, click here.

* * * * *

A note to those in the southern hemisphere, please feel free to join us and use the categories from the Summer Essentials Sew-Along to suit your wardrobe needs!

36 comments:

Kestrel said...

Oooooh I think I might have to join in with your sewalong! Since the weather has turned decidedly Autumnal in the UK I am going to get my warmer clothes out this weekend and review what I need to make for the coming season, without trying to be TOO ambitious!

Amber Elayne said...

Count me in! I'm still learning how to put buttons on my blog (seriously having trouble........ please help if you know how)! I'll give this some thought tonight.

Lynne Williams said...

I would like to join you ladies, already have a few ideas for my favorite season.

Having difficulty with the button, not sure if thats me or you?

www.sewingcafewithlynne.blogspot.com

Becky said...

Wheeee, I'm excited! If all goes according to plan, I'll be posting my plan for this on my blog by the end of the day. :)

Andrea said...

Woohoo! Sign me up!

Shawnta said...

I am in!!!! I really enjoyed the summer sew along even though I didn't get to all I wanted to. I will have no guest this up coming season so I should be able to focus and get everything done. I blogged about all of my challenges here: http://divinerae.blogspot.com/2011/09/challenge-wh.html

Suzanne said...

I am looking forward to signing up for this project. My Fall wardrobe is very lacking. Thank you for organizing this project.

Sarah said...

Welcome, everyone!!! We're delighted to be creating along with you!!

Stephanie J said...

This sounds fantastic! I have a ton going on right now but I'm going to try to tackle at least part of this challenge. Can't wait to get started.

Stephanie Lynn said...

Count me in!

Sølvi said...

I love your the alliterations! Count me in! I hope to be a better participant than I was at SESA´11. :-)

I am very excited to put together a plan for the autumn. I already have so many ideas, it´s so great to get them a bit more structured and to share them with the community! :-)

Lindsey H said...

I'm going to try! Even if I get one thing, I'll be happy. :)

Alessa said...

Oooh, that Simplicity dress is really pretty! :) Can't wait to see what everybody comes up with!

Barbara said...

Hi! I'd love to join! I just HAVE TO make that coat.....:-)

Clothcat said...

Think I will try and join in with this to push myself to do a couple of winter garments at least.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Sarah,
I am looking so forward to the sew along..
Next week,I am going to go through my fall clothes and see what all I need. And decide ,what I will be doing for the challenge.Will get them posted to flickr as soon as possiable..
thankyou so much for offering this wonderful challenge.. Happy Sewing. Judy

Charlotte said...

Please count me in, I would love to be part of the fun x

prttynpnk said...

Count me in! I want to play!

kristenmakes said...

I don't know how productive I'll given this busy next few months but I will attempt to sewalong! I've got so many things I need to make, this might help me get going!

Megan Eliza said...

Definitely count me in. How about setting up a Flickr group that we can add our sew-along photos to? I would love to have a visual record of everyone's creations in one place. I blog at http://red-cedar.ca

Sarah said...

@kristenmakes - Yippee!! I'm so glad you've joined! Now we can knit and sew along together!

@Megan - Welcome, fellow Canadian! The sew-along's Flickr group link is here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1730089@N20/

Stevie said...

I'm hoping I can incorporate some of these into my colette one too. But Pjs were already on my extended list so yay! Plus I always wanted to try some slinky underwear!
Count me in!

Meg the Grand said...

Count me in!! The Chicago weather has demanded that I sign up for this STAT!

Ali said...

Hooray! And we're off! Thanks for everything, Sarah, can't wait for fall sewing!

Minnado said...

I would like to join too. I have just joined the flickr group and am getting my planning post ready. x

Gwendolen Gross said...

trouble w/button, twoo, but I'm sew happy to be here! Planning to try making riding breeches for both me & my dd, as well as riding shirts and a horse blanket! And, of course, loads of garments. Love this! Thank you!

Sarah said...

@Minnado - Welcome!

@Gwendolyn - Delighted to have you on board! The button code is fixed :)

Urban Rustic said...

Spur of the moment decision for me to join so hope I am not too late!! Never taken part in a sew along before so it will be interesting and hopefully stop me from being disorganised.I have got some plans in the pipeline though.

Sarah said...

@UrbanRustic - Welcome! It's never too late to join :)

bampitt said...

Oh! I'm going to join this. I didn't do very well with the summer sew-a-long but I'm so inspired this fall and really stocking up on supplies.

Sarah said...

@bampitt - Welcome!

Clarissa said...

I'm in! This is the perfect sew a long for me. I'm super busy this fall with school, my daughter's school and various family activities. This is just what I need. Thanks for hosting!

Sarah said...

@Clarissa - Welcome! Would you send me your blog link and I'll add you to the FESA tab? Thanks!

moonstruckcreations said...

I would love to join in please!

Helenxx

House of Pinheiro said...

Hi Sarah. I finally organized myself and i want to join the group too ! thanks

Popcorn said...

Yesterday evening I was looking for a Sew-Along and found this! I'm in! Hope this will help me get down to business when it comes to different projects I have in mind for myself!

Since I live in Sweden, my blog is in Swedish, but you can look at the pictures and perhaps use google translate : ))