Monday, October 3, 2011

FESA: Pea Green Macaron

A while ago, in an attempt to practice sewing with knits, I made a striped knit top from Butterick 7762. To say that the process was exhausting and fraught with frustration is an understatement. The black and white striped knit slipped and slid everywhere and seem to grow to gargantuan proportions.


Fast forward to this week where I snapped up this gorgeous pea green knit for $5/metre. Now I know that green isn't one of my colours for my fall palette; however, fantastic sale fabric requires flexibility! LOL! This knit is lovely and thicker than the striped one. I had been wanting to make a Macaron with a knit yoke ever since I saw Patty the Snugbug's version. I was originally planning to make the dress with a knit yoke only, but since my success with my knit Simplicity 3673, I was feeling adventurous!


This gorgeous pea green begged me to be a dress. While I loved the striped knit fabric, I didn't love it as the tunic, so I sacrificed the tunic in the interest of a great fall dress. Unfortunately, despite my creative cutting, there simply wasn't enough fabric to match my stripes - boo! I did, however, recycle the sleeves intact, including the cool chevron effect on the top.


As with all Colette Patterns, this dress went together like a dream! From tracing, to cutting, to sewing, the entire process took me 3 hours. Fantastic! I treated the knit fabric as I would a woven, adding all the darts and pleats the pattern requires.


Much like my knit Simplicity dress, this one feels as though I were wearing pajamas - so comfortable! I chose to make the sleeves elbow length to give it a bit more versatility. Paired with tights and boots, I am nice and toasty in our now cool fall weather. My fun spotted scarf was a fantastic find at $2!

I am entering this dress into Stitched in Color's Celebrate Color contest for October. Wish me luck!

Celebrate Color

15 comments:

Sølvi said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. You are really on a roll this fall, aren´t you! I love everything about this dress! :-)

Donna said...

Wow! What a fabulous dress! I love the b&w stripe with the green - inspired choice :)

Alessa said...

Wow, it's awesome! And green! And stripey! I still haven't started on my knit-yoke Macaron...

Also, I love your polka dot scarf!

Sarah said...

@Solvi - Hee hee! Yes, I seem to be on quite a roll! Thanks so much for your lovely comment.

@Donna - Thank you!!

@Alessa - Thank you, doll!

Lisette said...

It looks so good! Maybe I should make my macaron pattern finally.

Leslie said...

I love it! Good luck in the contest!

LAP said...

An all-knit Macaron, I love it! It must be so cozy to wear too.

Debi said...

This dress is AWESOME! I love it so much!!!! Brilliant idea for saving your tunic!

Rachel said...

It looks fantastic Sarah! I love the longer sleeves and the colour combo.

sweet jane. said...

I LOVE the stripes with the green! And it looks so cozy :)

Joy said...

So adorable! That green is probably my favorite color.

kristenmakes said...

How creative! I love the black/white with the green!

Andrea said...

OMG, I can't tell you how much I love this Macaron! The colors caught my eye, but I was in love at the mention of knits! I need a knit Macaron!

Lauren Golem said...

Wow your dress looks great! I was just wondering if you were able to omit the zipper with the knit fabrics?

Tilly said...

Oh my, how did I miss this when you posted it back in October? Well I've found it now, that's the main thing. LOVE THIS!!! Everything about it is just so... perfect!!