Friday, December 9, 2011

Fall Essentials Sew-Along Summary


Oh, what a marvellous sew-along FESA has been! I have so (or should I say, sew?) enjoyed seeing everyone's creations in the Flickr group. Fantastic! It is such a pleasure and an honour to be in such creative company.

With the appearance of snow, as well as full-on production of Christmas gifts, I'm feeling the waning of fall and the welcome of winter. As such, I have decided to wrap up my fall crafting earlier than I had planned. Taking a leaf from Solvi's book, this is what my original mood board looked like:

(image sources listed here)

I found the images, fabrics, and colours quite inspiring and amasses a list that included multiple pairs of trousers, skirts, dresses, and tops, as well as knit items. Needless to say, this ended up being terribly overwhelming and often left me at a loss at where to begin. However, it did provide a valuable lesson in achievable sewing goals. Wish list sewing, such as the list I made for FESA, belong in my Pinterest boards. [So noted for future challenges.]


Fashionable Foundations for Frosty Weather
This category was less than successful for me. I did not make one single skirt and would have failed miserably regarding trousers were it not for a pair I made today. I used Butterick 4552, again deviating from my carefully laid plans, from some glorious dark denim with a slight stretch. I bought three metres of this for $5/metre and still have plenty left over.


Butterick 4552 may be my second favourite trousers pattern ever! Butterick 7762 is always number one for me, but this little devil of a pattern - which I bought for $0.50 - is brilliant. Easy as pie and comfortable as heck!

Chic Chemises for Cool Climates
My Spanish Harlem Tunic is another item that is on frequent rotation in my wardrobe. I love to wear it with leggings and boots now that the weather is cooler. I love the tattoo fabric and the pairing of red and teal - one of my favourites!


A few days ago, I finished Colette Patterns' Jasmine in a beautiful white cotton blend fabric. Heavenly! Wearing it makes me feel elegantly French, for some reason. :) I do have plans for another flannel version of Butterick 7762, as I wear this one all the time. This will have to wait after the holiday crafting madness subsides

Fabulous Frocks
I was quite successful in making several dresses for this sew-along; even one surprise dress! My knit Macaron was a happy accident and a terrific bargain. I refashioned a knit top I made in March and used some lovely green knit I snapped up for $5/metre. Of all the items I made, this one gets the most wear by far.


I made three versions of Simplicity 3673 all told and it's the one below and my teal knit one that get the most wear. For some reason or another, the red corduroy version is barely worn. I do have plans to refashion it into a high-waist pencil skirt as really like those lovely darts.


My third version, complete with a hot pink twill bolero from Butterick 8939 was made for my friend's wedding in October. I have neglected to make the time for a full outfit shoot, but here's a snapshot of me and my dear friend Vanity Boom at said wedding:


On the empire waistline of the dress and the collar and cuffs of the bolero, I used scraps of hot pink dupioni silk as accents. I even made covered buttons for the jacket. I'm a bit proud to say that my outfit and accessories are all handmade. :)

Those Cozy Nights
I have some ridiculously cute cupcake flannel to make myself some pyjamas, but I haven't yet been able to sit down and do so. Luckily for me, Mr. Friday always gets me a delectably warm and cozy pair for Christmas each year. Yippee!

Baby It's Cold Outside
I am making great progress with my knitting. So far, I have made several items as gifts and I have started working on my Blush Vest.


Victoria's beautiful fingerless gloves she made me were the inspiration for this entire fall sewing plan. I am delighted to say that I was able to purchase more of the same yarn and am using that to make the vest. I am head-over-heels for Sirdar Crofter DK yarn. The self-Fair Isle effect is so pretty! I managed to pick up a few skeins of Heathery to make myself some socks.

Knitting my hat involved a bit of trial and error. I did want a more of a beret/tam style as I feel a beanie makes me look suspiciously like a matchstick. After much searching about on Ravelry, I have cast on this hat in beautiful turquoise cotton:

My Co-Hostesses
I want thank my fabulous co-hostesses, Ali and Alessa, for being inspiring, amazing, and so incredibly supportive! Without you two, this sew-along would never have gotten off the ground. Thank you!

8 comments:

Urban Rustic said...

Thank you too for letting me join in with all of your fun as I had a great time!FESA spurred me on to make some nice cozy additions to my autumn wardrobe which I am very pleased about.I am a little behind in making comments on the Flickr group which I hope to put right soon.If there might be any other sew-a-long's in the coming year I would love to join in!

Becky said...

I know what you mean about achievable sewing goals-- I recently did my own FESA summary post (http://sew-and-so.blogspot.com/2011/12/one-last-licorice-post-and-fesa-roundup.html) and while I think I did pretty well overall, especially considering I had some unplanned things I had to throw in there, I did have some rather "big-ticket" items that didn't get done. Though I think those will be my main winter priorities.

I made that same hat back in the winter! My second hat and basically my 4th knitting project since I picked it up at the beginning of this year. (Not my fourth ever, since I had a few failed scarf attempts back in high school and college, but the 4th that counts.) It was pretty simple overall. The hardest part for me was just getting it cast on. (If you want to take a look, it's here: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/sunnyb64/early-morning-beret) The turquoise will look really pretty, and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

Debi said...

Love your recap of FESA! Maybe next fall I'll join in. And I know what you mean about overly ambitious mood boards (love your kermy photo :) All of the things you've made seem really versatile. I just love that macaron fabric pairing!!

Alessa said...

Congratulations on finishing FESA, Sarah! I love the frocks you came up with, I think the knit Macaron is my favorite! It was great to co-host with you again. :) I think I'll continue my FESA plan into winter, since I've never been particularly good at distinguishing between fall and winter sewing.

charlotte said...

I just loved this sew along, thankyou for hosting it.

Sølvi said...

Thanks again for hosting, and your finished projects are all so colorful, versatile and pretty! You really have been very productive! And I love that you have taken up knitting, that beret looks delish! :-)

Heather Lou said...

Loooooooooooove the green and black & white striped number!

Meg the Grand said...

I love all of your outfits! The black/white stripes and green dress is my absolute fave :) Fabulous work, my dear!