Monday, January 16, 2012

Sew Colette: Choosing Fabric for the Meringue Skirt


Ah, choosing fabric for a sewing project! It's surely one of the most exciting parts and can also be one of the most overwhelming. For the Meringue, Sarai recommends using 'a stiff fabric that holds its shape well, in order to keep the scallops crisp and easy to sew. Medium-weight fabrics such as silk twill, dupioni, cotton pique, brocade, taffeta, and poplin are good choices. Lighter home decor fabrics work well for this skirt, too.'


In addition to the fabrics suggested above, I would also recommend:
  • cotton twill
  • quilting cotton
  • corduroy
  • denim
For new stitchers, I would recommend sticking to the fabric recommendations as it will help to ensure a successful garment. The more sewing experience you gain, the more familiar you will become with fabrics and the unique behaviours of each.


Chapter 5, A Beautiful Fabric, is an excellent primer on various fabrics, their qualities, and behaviours. I thoroughly enjoyed this chapter and highly recommend it, as it will be especially helpful during the sew-along. It made me feel more confident about trying fabrics that I would normally shy away from. For example, I plan on using a slippery crepe-backed satin for my Taffy dress.

For my Meringue, I am making my wearable muslin out of lightweight dark wash denim with a slight stretch and my 'final' version from lightweight cherry red corduroy. Both fabrics have the stiffness needed to hold the scallops, although I do plan on topstitching them as I like that look. I am also adding a waistband and will be following Sarai's tutorial.

Come back this Thursday when we unveil our muslins and talk about fit!

13 comments:

charlotte said...

I think the skirt looks great with a waistband.

Tabatha Tweedie said...

I just bought my fabric yesterday - a wool/poly blend suiting fabric in black. It's pretty sturdy so I think it will work well and be hard-wearing, which is exactly what I want from a plain black skirt! :-)

Miss Crayola Creepy said...

I'm so glad that quilting cotton will work! I had been eyeing some at the store, but wasn't sure if it would be ok.

Penny-Rose said...

I think this sounds like a lovely project and I am really looking forward to seeing the end result. I have a vintage dress with scalloped neckline and sleeves and it very flattering.

Kestrel said...

Ooh, I was wondering what a Meringue might be like in denim!

gingermakes said...

Ooh, cherry red corduroy?! Sounds super cute!

Symon said...

This is excellent advice; I made mine from silk noil, and had a bit of a time getting the scallops nicely defined, as the fabric is a bit floppy LOL. It would have been much much easier in one of the recommended fabrics :)

Foster said...

I'm a little tardy on getting started with this, but I'm going to pull out my book and pattern today and determine what size I will make. If only my kids would stop using the ping pong table to play ping pong, I could start cutting a muslin...... Thanks for hosting this sew along. It is forcing me to use the book I bought.

kristenmakes said...

Ooooh, cherry-red corduroy?!? Sounds so tasty!

Amanda said...

I too am tardy with this one but shall get on this in no time. I have some fantastic Ikea curtain fabric to use. So cute and excited to be involved!

Debbie said...

Just washed my fabric yesterday, and am keen to get going with this cute skirt. Looking forward to working through the Colette book together!

Anonymous said...

A light bulb moment for me-someone mention a wearable muslim.I will use an inexpensive flowerey cotton I bought on sale.I am too nervous to cut into my Amy Butler cordury fabric,just yet. My hips are small and my waist is not-so it will be interesting to see how this looks on me!

diana said...

i totally want to make this skirt and have got the lovely book. but, it asks for an invisible zipper and i haven't got invisible zipper foot. do you think it would work with a centred zipper?