The Pastille Dress is one of the patterns in The Colette Handbook I have been most excited to make. I love the feminine details Sarai has incorporated which take this classic sheath-style dress to a whole other level.
This past week we focused on alterations that are specific to the Pastille. One alteration I definitely needed to make was for the shoulders. As I am a broad-shouldered lass, as my granpa used to say, this is a necessity for me. Otherwise, my shoulders stick out a full 1.5" past the shoulder seam. Not a terrific look and it's especially pronounced when I wear garments with cap sleeves.
To alter my Pastille, I used the simple slash-and-spread method. I first drew my slashing line down from the shoulder and snipped down to the armscye.
You'll notice I did not trace the pattern for this garment and I may have shocked some of you with that. The truth of the matter is, I hate tracing patterns, although I do try to make myself do it (I did for the Meringue). Sometimes, the thought of tracing seems like a huge, laborious step, which dampens a lot of the joy of the process for me. It's during these times I cut and carry on.
After slashing the pattern and moving the cap sleeve out of the way, I took a scrap piece of tissue paper and marked out a space exactly 1.5" wide; the amount I needed to extend the shoulder seam. I placed one end flush against the left side of the slash and secured it with tape, then did the same with the other side.
I redrew the shoulder curve and fused the altered pattern piece to interfacing for added durability. Then I repeated the steps for the back bodice piece.
Next I'll show you my muslin and the swayback alteration I made. Stay tuned!