Thursday, March 1, 2012

Introducing.....That's Sew Cinematic



Welcome to That's Sew Cinematic! This sew-along has been on my mind for quite some time and I'm thrilled to be hosting it along with these fabulously crafty ladies:Link

If you have read my blog for a while, you will know how I am often inspired by costumes in movies and miniseries. When Downton Abbey hit television screens, I was absolutely smitten with the story and the glorious costumes! Each episode was a feast for the senses and I knew that this year was the perfect year for this sew-along.


We couldn't have a better source for personal inspiration!  The goal is to create garments inspired by your favourite actors/actresses from film, stage and television. You can create items from every category or only a few - whatever best suits you!  And now, the categories:

FROCKS FROM THE FLICKS
From Givenchy's iconic black dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's, to Marilyn's white halter dress from The Seven Year Itch, to Carol Burnett's velvet curtain dress from that The Carol Burnett Show skit, frocks of all styles and eras have left their mark on cinematic history. Whether you are inspired by an icon or simply by a pretty frock only just glimpsed, this is the place to let your dress dreams run wild!




TINSELTOWN TOPPERS
There are so many beautiful blouses and tops that have graced the silver screens, both large and small. Katharine Hepburn's masculine tailored white shirts, which she wore throughout her life, is one that easily springs to my mind. Whether you are inspired by crisp tailoring or flowing lines, toppers of all styles are welcome here.



FEATURE FILM FOUNDATIONS
From Rizzo's slinky black trousers in Grease to Marsha's fabulous flares in The Brady Bunch, to Joan's sensational pencil skirts in Mad Men, skirts, trousers, capris, and shorts are the way to go here!



SLIP INTO THE SILVER SCREEN
Elizabeth Taylor cornered the market on slinky sultriness with her simple white slip in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Whether you want to channel your own Inner Liz or mould you figure to a more Lilly Langtry frame of mind, this is the place to sew yourself some small clothes.



THE SWEATER GIRL
Nothing says silver screen style quite like the sweater girl. No sweater girl is better remembered than Lana Turner. Whether v-neck, pullover, or cardigan is your style, knitted inspiration can be found here. For those more inclined to sew, how about a Pink Ladies jacket? Let's not forget our headgear, either! Here is the place to show your outerwear!




THE ABILITY TO ACCESSORIZE
Accessories of all sorts are welcome here! Nifty hats, lacy shawls, beautiful brooches, and natty socks. Whatever puts that finishing touch on your ideal outfit should be shown off here!


Source: google.ca via Sarah on Pinterest


'It's what separates us from the animals, our ability to accessorize.'
- Clairee Belcher, Steel Magnolias


* * * * *

JOIN US!
We hope you'll join us as we handcraft our own silver screen style! We'll kick off the project today and aim to finish our items by the end of June 2012.  Copy the code below and paste the button on your blog or website. Please leave a comment so we can follow your progress!  My plan is posted here.





30 comments:

Popbabe7 said...

WOW! This is so exciting!!! I so want to join you...

Kristin said...

This is so awesome. :) I've always wanted to create an outfit or two based on something from a film, because I watch a ton of classic movies. I guess this is the perfect excuse! :)

~Kristin

Stephanie Lynn said...

Well, considering that I already want to sew like half the costumes from Downton Abbey, guess I'll have to join. ;)

Christine said...

Ohhh I can't wait!!! Sign me up!

Melissa said...

Oh, this is perfect, I want to join, too! I'll have to think about what I want to make though, I have a few ideas in mind.

Miss Crayola Creepy said...

You are busy!!!!! And I am too, but this is so cool that I want to do it! :)

ElizabethB said...

This is great. Are there any goals set? Or is it just up to our skills/time?

Cherise said...

That definitely sounds like something I'm going to want to do.

Added the button on my blog :)

Nicole Needles said...

I've got so many ideas already! Count me in.

Salma said...

I'm so excited! Time for me to start gathering inspiration!

Nettie said...

I'm in!! I missed the oscars week over on the Sew Weekly. Here is my second chance!

VickiPerryCreations said...

I'm in! Great idea, I love using film/t.v as inspiration for my sewing. Now what to make??

oonaballoona said...

HOW COOL!!!

Alessa said...

Oh, fun! I heve quite a few inspiration pics from my favorite tv series in my inspiration folder!

angie.a said...

I've been wanting to do something similar for quite a while, thanks for the nudge!

Fiona said...

Brilliant idea! I'm definitely in! I have the perfect pattern book for this challenge! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Famous-Frocks-hc-Alm-McDevitt/dp/0811877914/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330853897&sr=8-1

Mommy en France said...

Oh my, how timely. I just posted recently about how inspiring I found the sweaters worn by Jeanne Moreau in Jules et Jim and how I wanted to make at least one. Now this gives me the push I need! I'm a slow knitter, though, so I'm not sure about the May deadline... and I'm known for biting off more than I can chew, so I should think a little before I formally sign up. LOL.

Isis said...

What a great project, though I will have to decline due to time issues. I look forward to see what you come up with, though!

Sewly a Harpist said...

I joined! I'm so excited, I have something planned and I'm very excited. What a wonderful idea this is, thanks to everyone who got it going and set it up!

Lavender said...

Awesome! I think I can manage one without going bonkers :)

Tracey said...

A weird question, but is there a deadline- I am not the fastest of sewers!
Thanks- this is very inspiring!

EvaDress said...

Alright, I have a project that has been on my mind for 10 years (at least) and this event means I will have to do it!

I have been taken with the nightgown Irene Dunn wore in 'My Favorite Wife' at the very end of the film. It is the sequence in the mountain cabin when she and Cary Grant are about to get back together, with he donned as Santa Claus, of course!

I landed a pattern similar to it not long after wishing I could to the gown, ha!

Here is: http://www.evadress.com/images/1944.jpg

Jennifer said...

This sounds like fun! I'm already working on one piece and hope to squeeze another one or two onto my queue before the deadline. I just grabbed the button. Count me in! :-)

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

This is such great motivation for me! I've had the fabric for 6 months and just need to cut out and sew it!! I'm making the chartreuse suit worn by Betty Grable in Pin Up Girl. I managed to find the fabric on clearance and have had it sitting in my stash all this time! :P

Laurie said...

What a fun idea!! I already have a few movie-inspired costumes, and I certainly will want to add some more soon!! http://fairyfingers.blogspot.com

Karen @ Bobbins And Bombshells said...

I really want to join in! I hope I can make the deadline!

Elaine OC said...

I'm a little late to the party here, but hoping to join in! If I manage to decide, and get something done- a couple of ideas have been spinning in my head.

Marianna said...

Oh, what a great idea! I feel so lucky to have found this (am I dreaming?)

I finally get to make the dress I've had a crush on since I was 15.

Lenora Jane said...

Hahaha I have no sense of proportion or prudence and signed on about a week and a half ago...have my first piece done, hopefully I'll keep rocketin' along!

Aurelas said...

I doubt I'll have a chance to make anything in time to contribute, but I have gone from being most inspired by Audrey Hepburn to wanting to borrow Helena Bonham Carter's wardrobe and am trying to figure out how to create Helena-ish pieces from my existing fabric stash. If I can manage to do this, I will gladly post pictures.