My Pastille dress is finally finished! It does look a little different from when it first appeared, but I am happy with the overall result. I am pleasantly surprised that the cap sleeves look well on me (I was terrified that I would look like a Linebacker with my broad shoulders). After making silly mistakes with the piping and facings on my original bodice, I took inspiration from Toasty Knits and Sews and cut out a new one in this complimentary pin dot fabric. I quite like the two-tone effect.
I did really struggle with some aspects of this dress. The sleeve facings were quite tricky to sew in and I must have used a thousand pins to keep them lined up! I also really struggled with the pleats. I did mark them several times, but they sewed up a little off each time. I ended up accenting the top pleat with some giant rick rack (love!), and idea which came from Christine's beautiful Pastille, and hope that no one notices my slightly skewed pleats.
I didn't have to make too many alterations to this pattern. Once I had decided to go with a new bodice, I removed my shoulder alterations from the pattern and sewed it as is. I did grade the hips down to size 4 from a size 6 as I had at least an inch of excess fabric on each side of my muslin. The dress fits snugly, but comfortably.
While the struggles I had during the making of the dress are still fresh in my mind, I am glad that I can't wear it until the warmer weather. Cotton does not translate well to Southern Ontario in early March (brrr!) and the time away from the project will allow me to fall back in love with it. I do like the fit and the pretty cap sleeves and sweetheart neckline. If I were to make Pastille again, I would make it with a full skirt, rather than the slim.
* * * * *
Come and join Sew Colette! We're making the Truffle Dress this month and would love to have you sew along with us!
We're here to help!