Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sew Colette: My Cherry Red Pastille


My Pastille dress is finally finished!  It does look a little different from when it first appeared, but I am happy with the overall result.  I am pleasantly surprised that the cap sleeves look well on me (I was terrified that I would look like a Linebacker with my broad shoulders).  After making silly mistakes with the piping and facings on my original bodice, I took inspiration from Toasty Knits and Sews and cut out a new one in this complimentary pin dot fabric.  I quite like the two-tone effect.


I did really struggle with some aspects of this dress.  The sleeve facings were quite tricky to sew in and I must have used a thousand pins to keep them lined up!  I also really struggled with the pleats.  I did mark them several times, but they sewed up a little off each time. I ended up accenting the top pleat with some giant rick rack (love!), and idea which came from Christine's beautiful Pastille, and hope that no one notices my slightly skewed pleats.

I didn't have to make too many alterations to this pattern.  Once I had decided to go with a new bodice, I removed my shoulder alterations from the pattern and sewed it as is.  I did grade the hips down to size 4 from a size 6 as I had at least an inch of excess fabric on each side of my muslin.  The dress fits snugly, but comfortably.


While the struggles I had during the making of the dress are still fresh in my  mind, I am glad that I can't wear it until the warmer weather.  Cotton does not translate well to Southern Ontario in early March (brrr!) and the time away from the project will allow me to fall back in love with it.  I do like the fit and the pretty cap sleeves and sweetheart neckline.  If I were to make Pastille again, I would make it with a full skirt, rather than the slim. 

* * * * *

Come and join Sew Colette!  We're making the Truffle Dress this month and would love to have you sew along with us!

Have questions? Please feel free to post here, in Erin's blog, or in the sew-along Flickr group.
We're here to help!

22 comments:

Popbabe7 said...

Wow- this is such a lovely dress. I love the two-tone fabric!

Vintage Girl said...

Sarah, your dress is beautiful!! The sleeves did work out very well, I really like the style on you and the two fabrics work very well together. Great job!!

Yvette Friendship said...

I finished my Pastille last night and I wished it looked as good as yours! I made a huge mistake of the neck line and the sleeves really aren't me despite several shoulder adjustments! I am going to take some pictures to add to the group and finish my blog then I think I will alter the neck line and the sleeves and add an update to the group. Well done on finishing your it looks great and makes me want to try again with a two-tone version :) x

Donna said...

I think it's beautiful with the fabric mix-n-match and you look beautiful in it! Good job sticking with it :)

Stephanie Lynn said...

Is that purple hair I spy? :D And I adore anything with cherries!

Symon said...

yay! Congrats on finishing it, it looks lovely!! :) I so totally hear you on the sleeve facings; that's the one part of mine I just couldn't get perfect no matter how much I fiddled! (besides the fit, of course)

I think you'll be glad of it once the weather warms up; I know I'm definitely less inclined to wear a dress right now - it's very frosty here! :)

Kristy said...

Beautiful job! I like how the two different fabrics look together in this dress.

Karissa said...

I think it looks great! The dress is definitely a challenge, and I haven't seen one yet that looks just like the book cover. Love the two-tone effect and the ric-rac detail!

Meg the Grand said...

Oh, my friend! It's so lovely. I love the two tone dress - the fabrics work so well together. Your extra bit of trim on the skirt adds that special touch - the whole dress is just too fabulous!! Very well done!

Miss Crayola Creepy said...

It looks so good with the cap sleeves, belt, and piping! And I'm also loving your hair color!

Ali said...

This looks great on you! Truth be told, I'm a bit afraid of this dress for all the reasons you mentioned, but I imagine it's such a great dress to fit and built some sophisticated skills on! :) And I love the two-tone action, endless possibility!

Beverly said...

I love that dress!! Fantastic job!

poppykettle said...

I do really like the cherry print and the red! Like you I would have been worried about how the shoulder cap things would enhance my broad shoulders. But it doesn't make you look unbalanced at all! I think you look entirely lovely!

ana5059 said...

You've made a beautiful dress. Love the colors.

Shari said...

This looks so pretty on you and fits you so well!

Montana said...

very very cute :) I really love the mix of the solid red with the patterned bottom. and the ric-rac... genius! :)

Mommy en France said...

I LOVE IT!! Very cute, great combination of two fabrics, and the belt is so jaunty. I can just see this with little black mary jane shoes to match. And may I say, I adore your hair? You really rock the purple. I have been dreaming of going blonder and then adding subtle-ish pink highlights for years, but just have never had the courage. Maybe this year...

Lisette said...

It's so pretty. I love how everything you make really exudes your taste. I could tell you made it even if you weren't wearing it!

Rochelle New said...

It looks SO good! You know I'm a fan of the two tone effect ;) Such a beautiful dress!

Alessa said...

Oh, I love it! What an inspired idea to make the bodice a different fabric! And polka-dots, too - the perfect combination for cherries! :) The capsleeves do indeed look very pretty on you!

Scruffybadger said...

Sarah this is so cute & a genius idea to mix up the fabrics like this. Sweet sweet sweet!!

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Really cute.. I love the fabric choice.Looks great on you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...