Wednesday, June 6, 2012
The Hazel Dress: Wear Your Muslin
As Sarai suggested in her 10 Tips for Sewing the Hazel Dress, wearing your muslin for at least an hour can provide you with so much more Fit Facts than a simple try-on. It can tell you not only how it fits you, but how it moves with your body and if it is comfortable to wear.
For our Hazel muslins, I suggest the following plan:
1. Put on your muslin and take a photo.
2. Wear your muslin for at least an hour. At the end of that, take another photo.
3. Upload your photos to the Flickr group!
Compare the photos; the before and after shots, if you will. There will be obvious changes, such as wrinkling, but look for your personal Fit Facts:
1. Does it gape or pinch anywhere? Does it move well with your body?
2. Does it shift around? Are you continually adjusting it for a better fit, i.e. pulling / tugging?
3. Is it comfortable?
4. Do you feel good in it?
Write down your personal Fit Facts; everything you love and everything that needs to be adjusted. List the adjustments that need to be made. Take apart your muslin (this is where machine basting comes in very handy!) and start working!
A few of the most common adjustments are:
1. Waist/hip pivot adjustments
2. Small Bust Adjustments (SBA) and Full Bust Adjustments (FBA)
3. Torso length
We will be covering these and more adjustments all next week, so be sure to come back for more tutorials! Have a specific adjustment you want to learn? Please leave a comment here or in the Flickr group!
*Images from Colette Patterns used with permission