Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Operation Christmas Dress

Source: modcloth.com via Sarah on Pinterest


I have found my ultimate Christmas Dress!  Isn't it gorgeous?!  I love the soft white paired with the Dickens-inspired print.  And the full skirt? Love!  The dress is from Bernie Dexter's gorgeous new collection.  The beautiful fabric is 100% cotton and is imported from Japan, according to Bernie's website.

One problem: the price.  This fabulous frock is $156 USD.  Ouch!  Not only would my wallet have apoplexy, poor Mr. G would (rightly so) faint dead away if I brought home a dress that cost that much. So, I'm doing what any good seamstress would do when faces with the eternal economics vs design dilemma: I'm making my own version.  I'll make the bodice in a similar white fabric and I plan on using a Cynthia Rowley pattern from my stash for the dress. 

The odds of me sourcing identical fabric are slim to none, so I will use the original dress as inspiration and see how closely I can get to it with the resources available to me. With the help of Etsy, I have been able to find a few suitable candidates: 

Source: etsy.com via Sarah on Pinterest


A beautiful winter town scene fabric complete with streetlamps, snow-covered houses, and snowmen.  (I love snowmen!)

Source: etsy.com via Sarah on Pinterest


For a monochrome look, this beautiful winter forest print by Elizabeth's Studio definitely caught my eye.

Source: etsy.com via Sarah on Pinterest


This lovely Winter's Gleam fabric definitely has a similar vintage feel to the inspiration dress.  I really like the muted colours.  

I am leaning toward one pattern in particular, but I would love to hear what you would choose!

14 comments:

Gillian said...

I've been dreaming about a christmas dress too... but nothing so fitted! :P Maybe a shirred panel in the back would make it comfy before AND after dinner? It's going to be adorable - I love the fabrics you found!

oonaballoona said...

ooh, winter's gleam! though to be fair, contestant number 2 didn't show up for me in the post...

Amie said...

I am loving the winter wonderland in the forest scene! But the winter town scene is a close second!

If you make this dress, it can be a wonderful classic piece to pull out every Christmas.

Tilly said...

Oh Sarah, I'm so glad you're making this! I saw it pop up on your Pinterest board and I thought, "I hope she makes that". Personally I like the second fabric with the trees the best. But any of them will look awesome. Can't wait to see it!

Jamie said...

This is too funny. I was also struck with the absolute beauty of Bernie Dexter's christmas dress and decided I just had to have it...er...MAKE it...for Christmas ;) I made a post about it on my blog last week. I've been scouring everywhere trying to find fabric. The fabric this dress uses is a Thomas Kinkade print but it's really hard to find. I came across the Winter's Gleam fabric and I think that's what I'm going for. As for the pattern, I haven't decided whether or not I should just go for a shirtwaist for all out fancy schmancy. I can't wait to see what your talented self comes up with, I'm sure it'll be gorgeous!!

Lindsey H said...

I think they're all cute, but I like the second monochrome one simply because you could wear it throughout the winter and not just during the holiday season.

Megan B. said...

I love the second one. Very Dickinsian.

Roisin Muldoon said...

I love the second one because of the people ice-skating! Great plan to make your own - it's such a simple looking shape so should be easy to recreate and let the fabric do the talking!

Tors Grantham said...

Oooh! I love the first choice, snowmen for the win! Actually, they're all lovely so I'm sure whatever you choose will look fantastic on you.

jo90 said...

Definitely Winter's gleam. Very classy!

Sewing Princess said...

I'd go for the last one! Very classy! What will you use for the top? If you don't have a pattern yet burda published a very similar one in August and September (I made one in blue) it would be a very christmassy dress. Cute

velosewer said...

I like Winter's gleam but choose the one that suits your colour palette.
Lovely style.

Ren said...

Good grief! I didnt even know I needed a Christmas dress before this post!!! Im off to follow the fabric links you posted to get some fabric!!!! Thank you x

Symon said...

I've never seen anything like this before - how neat! I like the last fabric the best; can't wait to see what you pick! ^__^