Thursday, November 22, 2012

The 15 Minute Plan

Tilly, the lovely and creative lady behind Tilly and the Buttons, has started quite a positive stir in the online sewing community: sewing for 15 minutes at a time.  It's a simple plan, but very, very smart, and it is one that I plan to implement immediately.



I have to admit to feeling a bit of sewing burnout lately.  In the rush to finish my Cambridge Peony (which is still languishing), I rather pushed my envelope a bit much and ended up sewing for a several hours at a stretch.  At the end of it all, I had made several silly mistakes and my frustration level was mounting.  Worse off, I began to really dislike the project I was working on.

In the words Erin of Miss Crayola Creepy: Sewing should be fun and not stressful!

Like you, I am performing a constant juggling act of priorities over leisure. When I do have dedicated time to creative pursuits, I tend to binge-create.  While the end results, productivity-wise, can be quite good, I'm usually left feeling flat and rather drained.



As of today, I will begin using Tilly's 15 Minutes Plan.  I am quite lucky to have a small, dedicated sewing space, so I can leave my projects out to be picked up whenever I need them.  My first project?  Well, I can't decide between New Look 6000, View E in red slub silk or Simplicity 1873, View A in red and white polka dots.  Which would you choose?  Are you using Tilly's plan? 

12 comments:

Sew little time said...

i think i prefer the new look although the other is very pretty too. did you see tilly is sewing it up too, same view? spooky!

i struggle to sew for 15 mins at a time (i either have a whole spare evening or no time at all!) but i am trying to take it on board by grabbing time here and there to sew (so when dinner is cooking or watever, rather than watching tv for 10 mins, i will sew a few seams). rather than sitting up late sewing and making mistakes, when it gets late i will sit in front of the tv and pin pieces together or press hems so that i can make the most of small slots of time.

Miss Crayola Creepy said...

Both patterns are so cute, so I'm not help in deciding haha :) I own the first one (haven't sewn it yet), but the second one is on my wish list!

Michelle said...

I personally love the Simplicity 1873! I have plans to make this dress in my future and would love to see what you make with it!

Carlee McTavish said...

Red and white polka dots!!!! Definitely!

Rochelle New said...

I loooooove that Cynthia Rowley dress! I've ditched projects before because they stressed me out too much, and I think that's okay. Erin is SO right! Sewing should always be fun :)

johanna said...

The Simplicity pattern looks supercute! It caught my eye even before I read about your plans. And you can never go wrong with polka dots, am I right?!

Good luck!

Tilly said...

Aw thanks for the mention, my dear! It wasn't actually my idea in the first place, it came out of the Twitter chat, so I don't want to take credit :) What I love about this approach is how easy it is to make creativity part of everyday life.

Love both of these patterns. x

Symon said...

I really like the concept behind this idea, as I tend to do the same thing as you - go for long marathon sessions, make mistakes and then resent my project... that's no fun! ^_^ 15 minutes might not be enough for me to get focused enough to do things properly but half an hour is definitely do-able! :) If I do have more time, I'm trying to break it up with other tasks so I don't spend too much time on a project at one go :)

Symon said...

oh and I can't decide which one!! I have the NL 6000 but I just finished sewing a different Cynthia Rowley and they're both great!! As are both your fabric choices - do both! ^_^

Adrienne said...

Sewing for 15 minutes seems very feasible, and a good way to squeeze some sewing into insanely busy lives. As for myself, I don't have children and getting lost in a project for hours at a time is one of my greatest pleasure. I don't think I'll be sewing "15 minutes at a time" anytime soon. :-) I do look forward to hearing about other people's experiences with the concept.

Johanna said...

I thought this was a great idea when I saw it! What am I doing right now you ask? Well, procrastinating doing my 15 minutes of course! lol! Okay I can't fall over at the first hurdle. Gotta do it! Haha.

Alessa said...

Polka dots. You know me... ;)
Actually, that sounds like a plan I would benefit from, too... I need to put it on my list! ;)