Sunday, May 4, 2014

Lazy Daisy


Lately I've been craving comfort clothing with gentle tailoring and forgiving fabrics.  After the excitement of Sew Dolly Clackett, I find that I need a little down time, and sewing comfort clothing is just the thing.

Me Made May is an inspiring time.  I have not officially signed up but I will be participating as I normally wear handmade everyday.  I really enjoy seeing everyone's outfits and getting new perspectives on favourite patterns.  I find Me Made May gives me the push I need to try new things.



This one is the Lazy Daisy top and is made with a printed cotton gingham.  My local fabric store is having a huge spring sale and I was able to get a lot of pretty cottons for between $4-$8/m.  While my handmade dresses are a collection of bold novelty prints, I find my separates are a bit quieter and more delicate.  This top has no complicated tailoring and closes simply at the neck with one button.  The curves in the front give it gentle shaping, ensuring that it's not sack-like.




The length is perfect for me, hitting just at the right spot, and I love how it looks with my handmade denim cigarette trousers.  This is the easy look I have been craving.  I feel feminine and put together, but I also feel comfortable and relaxed.  This is an outfit I can easily wear to work (jeans on Fridays, of course) and can also pair with skirts, such as my denim Meringue.  Plus, there are little white daisies on my pink gingham fabric and who doesn't love that?!

My Flock of Seagulls cardigan is a new make, too.  I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Victorian and my usual top-down formula.  The lace pattern is from Vogue Knitting's Stitchionary, Knit and Purl.  It's tree lace, but as I knit the cardigan top down, it looks like a flock of geese to me.   The beret is also knit by me.




If you're a fan of kawaii food jewellery, I highly recommend IncredInedible.  She made my excellent donut earrings and I have this pair of popsicle earrings coming my way! Woo hoo! She also accepts custom orders.
* * * *

Trousers: Butterick 2507
Cardigan: Knit by me (self-drafted)
Beret: Knit by me


19 comments:

Jessica Hurst said...

My God! This is fantastic!!! I love everything about this ensemble! This looks so fun and well put together. You're so brave to sew your own trousers. I'm still too chicken. That top turned out so so cute, and with the cardigan... LOVE IT! Did you talk about your cardi in another post? I would love to read more about that and your self-drafting. The Beret is adorable, (sigh), and the donut earrings... I'm just dieing! (Okay, I'm dead.)

I'm also coming to a realization, such as yours, about the comfort clothing. I'm so attracted to bold, bright, fabrics and the fit and flare of the 50's, that I've missed on the relaxation of simplicity. Thanks for sharing this. Very inspiring!

BusyLizzie said...

Super cute - I am making tops too - its getting cold here and I need stuff to go with my ponte pants!!

Elizabeth said...

Super cute top!
But I actually wanted to comment to let you know how in love I am with your blog theme/background and header! so freaking cute! And your little sidebar lady, ugh, adorable!

Scruffybadgertime said...

Sweet !! Really lovely fabric choice for that awesome little top. Still amazed at how brill your knitting is...I remember your learning posts!!

Sarah said...

Oh, Jessica! Your lovely comment has just made my day! Thank you! I went through at least 10 pairs of dud trousers before I hit on two patterns that work for me! Now I just sew the same pattern or buy them from Freddies of Pinewood or Heyday.

I haven't talked about my cardigan before, but there is a formula for calculating how to draft your own sweater on Knittingfool.com. I just rejig it to work as a cardigan. :)

Sarah said...

Ponte pants!? Oh, they sound heavenly and definitely something I should have made for myself this past winter!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much, Elizabeth! I bought a 1950's graphic package and went bananas on my blog :) I adore 50's graphics - they are so fun and cheerful.

Sarah said...

Thanks, Winnie! My old neighbour was a Knitting Yoda and was so patient with me. I learnt a lot from her. :)

BusyLizzie said...

They are so cosy and warm. Great for travelling as they feel like sweatpants but are dressier :)

Lady Stitcher said...

Great outfit and I love your new top! You really are on fire with the sewing lately, so many new makes! :)

Jane said...

Cute outfit! I love it.

Sarah said...

Thank you! Me Made May really gets me inspired :)

Sarah said...

Thank you!

misscrayolacreepy said...

Top photo is sooooo cute!

Ashley said...

That top is adorable. I love the print!

Sarah said...

LOL! Thank you! It's a triple berry smoothie from Dairy Queen - nom!

Sarah said...

Thank you! :)

Amanda Russell said...

Really cute! You look very comfortable, but chic as well - that's a win! :)

Sarah said...

Thank you very much!