Monday, May 5, 2014

The New Hepburn Hepburn Project


In 2010, I started my original Hepburn Hepburn project which was inspired by Audrey Hepburn's and Katharine Hepburn's timeless style. Crisp oxford shirt and trousers for Kate and slim cigarette trousers and ballet neck tops for Audrey. Beautiful!  It was a terrific project that I really enjoyed and fired my creativity.

Given my zest for separates and my vintage-inspired style, I want to revitalize this project.  While I am an avid dress-wearer, I do love separates and find I wear them most often during the seasonal transitions.  My separates are easy wearing with minimal tailoring and forgiving fabrics.  There is a definite early 1960's feel with a dash of 1930's and a sprinkle of 1940's.  With icons such as Audrey and Kate, how could one not be inspired?

One of my goals is to keep this project simple and achievable, as well as to continue to fill my handmade wardrobe with handmade, classic pieces that I will wear year after year.  This is a deadline-free project, and one I will pick up and put down, depending on my mood.  

My focus is to create garments that are:
  • flattering and comfortable
  • fit my lifestyle
  • compliment items I already have (no closet orphans!

22 comments:

LadyxBec said...

What a cute idea!

Sarah said...

Thank you!

Velosewer said...

I love their style.

Lauren said...

Ohh...I would love to join in! What perfect timing...I finish my semester this week, and am always ready to sew when I return home!
-Lauren
musingsofaflowerchild.com

Sarah said...

It's timeless :)

Sarah said...

Hooray!

Emily Stringham said...

This is perfect timing! I'm making a prom dress for a friend inspired by the one worn by Audrey Hepburn at the beginning of "Breakfast at Tiffanys". I'm working on a blog post now so I'll be sure to include your sew along. :)
-Emily

Emily's Vintage Visions

www.tresbienensemble.com said...

These two ladies had some of the best style of anyone to ever grace the screen. This is a fun project, and I love that it's deadline-free!

Sarah said...

Oooh, that sounds like a divine dress!

Sarah said...

Me, too! LOL! Deadlines begone!

Emily Stringham said...

Thanks! I just finished my first blog post. The dress is still very much a work in progress but so far so good!
-Emily

Sarah said...

Oh, what's your blog? I'd love to check it out.

Emily Stringham said...

Here's the link! http://vintagevisions27.blogspot.com/

merche said...

What a great idea. Both actresses are among my all time favorites style wise, so why not give it a go? Hurray for dead-line free proyects!

colesworth said...

Can we have a flickr pool? The sew dolly clackett one was sew inspiring!

Sarah said...

Hooray! Welcome aboard!

Sarah said...

Sure, if you'd like one! Here you go: https://www.flickr.com/groups/thenewhepburnhepburnproject/

colesworth said...

Thankyou :o)

Laura N said...

Great idea! Who does love and look fantastic in either styles? Those Hepburn ladies had it right. I'm in!

Marilla Walker said...

Hi there! I have just added to the flicker pool! Hopefully I will submit some more 'Hepburn' inspired clothes at some point! x http://marillawalker.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/hepburn-flora.html

Sarah said...

Fantastic! I look forward to seeing them :)

Sarah said...

Agreed! Both Audrey & Kate were uberstylish!