Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Quintessential Cloche



One of the most easily recognizable items from the 1920's is the cloche hat.  Phryne has a fantastic collection of hats and I am determined to make my own just as well.

I started with the Eleanor pattern from Elsewhen Millinery.  I read through the instructions very carefully, as wanted to ensure that I cut the right size.  My head measurement is 22" and I cut the corresponding crown and brim pieces accordingly.  I sewed it with an 3/8" seam as indicated.  What I ended up with was a hat that was too small for my daughter and a tiny, tiny brim.  It looked nothing at all like the photo.  In fact, the brim piece was so tiny that there is no way it would have turned out like the photo.

I am really disappointed in the pattern.  I went back and reread everything and even made double sure that I had printed it properly.  I had.  *sigh* I was determined not to be defeated! I enlarged the crown piece and drafted a totally new brim and it worked out brilliantly, if I do say so  myself!




The hat is made from some lovely sapphire blue stretch twill from my stash.  I lined it with leftover fabric from my Masked Bandit dress and sewed everything with a 3/8" seam.  One helpful tip I did find in the Eleanor pattern was to use millinery wire to keep the brim's shape.  I don't have millinery wire, so I improvised by using pipe cleaners instead.  Works a treat!

I crocheted the flowers from patterns from my 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet.  As someone who absolutely loves crochet flower embellishments, this book is an absolute necessity.  It has both knitting and crochet flowers, but I tend to use the crochet only.  The big 'daisy' is actually an Irish rose and the two blue ones are small pansies.  The leaves are simple felt filched from my daughter's craft supplies.


When I drafted the brim, I wanted that little scallop the back and I'm really happy that it worked out.  It's one of my favourite features of cloche hats.  All in all, I am delighted with my new hat!  It fits well, has all the elements I was looking for, and matches many of my outfits.  I have plans to make one in pink linen, as well as red twill. 


What's your favourite warm weather hat style?

8 comments:

LSV said...

Sensational! Phryne would be so proud!

Louise Z said...

Love it!

Inder said...

That is such a shame about the pattern! What gives? But I absolutely LOVE your rendition. Perfect! And the flowers are just lovely. Well done. See, who needs patterns, anyway? Rock on!

Sarah said...

LOL! Thanks, Inder :)

Sarah said...

Thank you!!

Sarah said...

That's the best compliment :) Thank you!

Rochelle New said...

I really hope you're doing Loran's 1920's sewing challenge with all these awesome things you're making! ;)

Sarah said...

I'm not sure if I'm joining in but there are some amazing people making lovely things :)