Saturday, August 30, 2014

Feminine Wardrobe: Ribbon Shoulder Shift


All hail Japanese sewing books! As you can see from the enormously cheesy grin on my face, I am delighted with my newest make.  This dress is the Ribbon Shoulder Shift from Feminine Wardrobe.  I feel rather Phryne-ish in this dress.  I had to zip to the corner store after work yesterday and plopped my favourite cloche on as I went out.  Definitely Phryne.  Or Lady Mary Crawley minus the bitchiness. 

This dress has a lovely straight silhouette, but narrows at the legs.  It skims over parts I don't want to emphasize - always excellent in any garment - and is wonderfully floaty and light. I used some of my favourite linen, this time in a rich plum.


I whipped it up after work on Thursday night (yes, it's that simple to sew) and sported it to work the next day.  My boss remarked that it's like a fashion show every time I come in|! Heh.  I absolutely adore the shoulder gathers, which are done by inserting elastic in a channel on either side of the shoulder seam, but elected not to include the shoulder ties.  I have broad shoulders and adding the ties made me feel like they were shouting LOOK AT ME AND MY GIANT SHOULDERS! Not good for the social anxiety, folks!


The dress has simple pockets which are sewn into the side seams.  They are just the right size for my phone, which is great as I listen to Sherlock Holmes audiobooks on the bus.  Not music, me, but detective stories.





Holy cow, this dress is awesome! Really, that's the most succinct thing I have to say.  I love it and am planning on sewing a navy polka dot version.  I think I'll try adding shirring to the back just to see how it changes the look.

If you're interested in trying Japanese sewing books, Feminine Wardrobe is very high on my recommendations list.  It is full of simple, yet beautiful, garments that are easy to sew.  Go for it!

18 comments:

Gillian said...

That's so pretty! Love your new wardrobe direction. And the playhouse is looking so good!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much, Gillian! The playhouse is looking awesome - I'm so proud of Chris!

Heather said...

Gorgeous! This colour looks beautiful on you and the shape of this dress is -WOW!

SeamsOddLouise.Blogspot.com said...

Great job, you look fab in this. I have this book and have to admit this is on my sewing list, I even have the fabric picked out for it.

Lady Stitcher said...

Lovely!! Was looking forward to seeing this! Love the fabric you picked too, it's perfect for it :)

Janet said...

Beautiful. I am really enjoying these recent makes. You look so comfortable and elegant.

Sarah said...

Thank you! The dress has crazy drape!

Sarah said...

I say sew it! I've just made my second version today.

Sarah said...

Thank you so much! I do have midnight blue and light blue linen that I may make a third version from.

Sarah said...

Oh, thank you so much!!

Measure Twice Cut Once said...

that colour is amazing! so very distinctive and yet it will go with everything. Plus who doesn't love a pocket you can hide a phone in? awesome all round.

Liz Bullock said...

I think I love everything about this! Lovely colour, simple lines, gorgeous dress!

IngeMaakt said...

I love that last picture! And the dress, obviously :) good call to leave off the shoulder ties, i love how it looks without them.

ozzyblackbeard said...

Gorgeous! I love the detail at the shoulders, I don't think I've seen that before, and I'm fairly sure I have exactly this fabric (in the same colour) in my stash. Great minds clearly think alike! Lynne

Sarah said...

Thank you! I have a rule that everything I make must go with at least 2 other things in my closet.

Sarah said...

Thank you! It's perfect for the hot weather, too.

Sarah said...

Thank you so much! It's definitely a favourite dress. I made a navy polka dot version yesterday.

Sarah said...

Great minds definitely think alike! I love this linen/rayon blend fabric. It's been my fabric of choice this summer!