Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Fern Gully


I've been sewing again and it feels great! I took a bit of a break as my shoulder was still giving me trouble (I still am too scared to knit for fear of re-injury) and this is my second completed dress this week.  I will be making this dress for my dear friend D, she even chose the same fabric - and I know she'll love it!

Fabricland had an amazing 40% off sale over the weekend and I was able to pick up a few pieces of fabric, this print being one of them.  They had several bolts of this deep indigo cotton with several different prints - mostly Jacobean-inspired - but this simple fern print really spoke to me.  I debated about using this side or the wrong side - a muted version of this - but eventually settled on the right side.

I made no alterations to this pattern.  None!  What a delight!  This dress is New Look 6068, View D but with elbow length rather than long sleeves.  It's the first time in ages that an A-line style dress has fit me well and I feel good in it.  The pattern says that it has 5" of ease, but I say it's more like 4".  


There are very few pieces to cut and it sews up quickly and easily.  The trickiest part was the front facing to create the keyhole neckline.  I had thought I was going to close it with a pearl button, but find I prefer it open instead.  I eliminated the collar facing and used teeny tiny 1/2" bias binding instead.  

The fabric is so soft and airy, but it has a warmth to it that will be perfect for cool weather wear.  I know I'll be pairing this with tights or knee socks and boots when the time comes.  The slightly puffed sleeves fit nicely under my cardigans - a wardrobe staple for me!


12 comments:

Heather said...

This dress looks fantastic on you! I was eyeing these indigo prints at Fabricland too, and I just might have to go back and get some now. PS: I love FernGully too!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you got the Fern Gully reference! :D I highly recommend this fabric - so soft and it sews up beautifully. Thank you so much for your comment.

Sarah said...

I know! It's a real happy/sad movie. Thanks for your comment!

Cass said...

Omg I love it!! It amazes me that just last night I was holding this fabric in my hands and today you have a beautiful dress made!! You are so talented!! :)

Janet said...

I know that fabric. I bought one of the Indigo fabrics. Love. The dress is lovely.

Kirsty Splatt said...

Gorgeous dress. x

Sarah said...

LOL! Thank you! It really was only a few pieces to sew together. But you held the fabric - I was powerless to resist sewing it any longer!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much! Which Indigo print did you chose?

Sarah said...

Thank you!

Sew Little Time said...

really pretty fabric - and lovely with the red shoes! i like making dresses with dark background fabric - so they work with bare legs in the summer and tights in the winter.

Sarah said...

Thank you! I'm actually wearing this dress today with coral footless tights as it's 9C outside!

PINKQUEEN said...

I love your outfit ! It's really pretty !

The shoes are amazing !

http://url7.me/LkWS1