Friday, August 15, 2014

Quasimodo


This is Quasimodo, my latest WIP cardigan.  I have been wanting to knit Fannie Fouche for ages, only to discover that it's knit top-down and all-in-one-piece, which is murder on my wrists.  Undaunted, I wanted to see if I could knit my own version but bottom up and seamed.  Lo and behold, I can! 

Quasimodo is completely self-designed and, considering I only started knitting seriously about 2 1/2 years ago, I'm pretty damn pleased with myself.  It has all the elements from Fannie Fouche that I wanted: long body, defined waist, and pretty texture, but it's knitted in a way that doesn't hurt my wrists.

My shoulder is a different matter entirely.  I know that Quasimodo is a really strange name for a cardigan (even for me!) but I have my reasons.  In my defense,  I was (happily) sucked into Foyle's War while I was on vacation over the last two weeks.  The show is so engrossing that my fingers developed a mind of their own whilst my mystery-loving brain went haywire over DCS Foyle et al.

Before I knew it, one week and 4 series had been watched.  My right shoulder was the casualty, as I've gone and done something to the muscle.  It's in a helluva knot and refuses to relax.  I've got the Bat Signal out to my wonderful massage therapist but, in the meantime, my shoulder is killing me.  I've doused myself in Voltaren gel and icy/hot patches so much that I reek of old man.  I can't find a position in which my shoulder doesn't ache and/or go numb, so I end up hunching over much like this:

(source)


I am a vision, I tell you.

The worst part is that I can't knit! My poor cardigan is languishing, desperate to be finished and sported about.  It's especially imperative as we've been having some delightfully cool weather lately and I am in need of it. 

On the bright side, I am delighted with how the cardigan has turned out.  I love the simple diamond eyelet pattern and seed stitch details.  Unlike my sewing, which is mostly print-driven, my knitting is definitely all about texture.  I prefer solid colours with a combination of interesting stitches.  This book has been such a useful tool in my knitting arsenal. 


I'm pretty pleased with the seed stitch shawl collar, too.  My original collar was in garter stitch and I made a mistake in calculating my stitches, so it ended up looking like a shawl collar with elephantitis.  Not pretty.  So I frogged it, recalculated, and started fresh.  That's one thing I love about knitting.  If you make a mistake, you can simply rip it out and end up with what you started with: yarn.  In sewing, not so much.

 
I used Knit Picks' Comfy Worsted which is my favourite cotton yarn, tendency to fuzz notwithstanding.  It is ridiculously soft and a joy to knit with.  This particular colour is creme brulee, which makes me hungry every time I think about it as it's one of my favourite desserts.  The colour is much brighter than you see here.  Unfortunately, early evening light doesn't take the best photos. 

Hopefully my massage therapist can beat my shoulder muscles back into submission and I can finish this beauty.  I am thinking that shell buttons will be perfect for this cardi.

In sewing news, I've ruthlessly culled my sewing pattern stash and have an entire laundry basket full of Unsuitables, which I will be listing in my Etsy shop slowly but surely.  I have vintage, Big 4, indie, and children's patterns to list.  Stay tuned!


13 comments:

Sarah said...

I was afraid but I figured I'd try anyways. Like I said, even if you mess up, you still end up with yarn at the end. This no-knitting thing stinks, let me tell you!

Bobbi Piles said...

Quasimoto is looking great! I love texture in my knitting - seed stitch is so simple and beautiful and looks so pretty as the shawl collar.
I have shoulder pain when I knit too much, too. It usually goes away after playing some football with my son. Strange, that's me!
I'll keep telling myself that I don't need any more sewing patterns - you probably have a bunch that I would love to add to my collection.

Gillian said...

Oi vei, you poor thing! Damn knitting for being so fun that you don't even notice when it starts to hurt. Your sweater is looking fab though - what a great accomplishment!

misscrayolacreepy said...

Oh man, I hope your shoulder feels better soon! And I can't wait to see that sweater when it's finished, it's beautiful!

IngeMaakt said...

ugh, I hope your massage therapist can work some wonders on your shouder so you can finish this one soon, it looks lovely!

BusyLizzie said...

Acupuncture, I swear by it. Fixed my frozen shoulder once, that was the most painful experience ever and one visit and I was good again. Those people are geniuses! Hope you are back to knitting again soon.

Sarah said...

Acupuncture! Lizzy, you're a genius!

Sarah said...

Thank you :) Between the Voltaren and hot/cold patches, I have some improvement. I was able to sew today!

Sarah said...

Thank you, dear Erin! I may be on the mend :)

Sarah said...

No kidding! I didn't feel anything until the next day! Thanks so much, G :)

Sarah said...

Thank you so much :) I love seed stitch not only for its look but the neat finished edge.

Ladanu Ladan said...

Owch you poor thing. I had frozen shoulder and it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I got it in 2010, and I swear it was caused by knitting. Actually it was caused by hurting my arm and then sitting down and not moving, and trying to knit to keep busy. The very worst thing I could have done. But hopefully your shoulder isn't frozen. Move around if you can and do try acupuncture or acupressure, it can only help.

Sarah said...

Eeep! That sounds awful! My shoulder is actually getting better, thank you, but I'm still to nervous to pick up knitting right now.