Thursday, August 28, 2014

Sweet Dress Book: Dress C


I am officially head-over-heels for Japanese Sewing Books.  The designs are exactly what I have been wanting to sew for the last 6 months.  They are simple with minimal pieces, yet the finished garment has big impact.  While I still do wear some of my novelty print fit-and-flare dresses, it's simplicity and comfort which are my new benchmarks.  Easy wear and care is my new sewing mantra.

This is my second version of Dress C from the Sweet Dress Book.  My first version is in the wash and will make it's blog debut at a later date.  For this version, I used some lovely Robert Kaufman red pin dot cotton that I picked up from Fabric.com.   Red has long been one of my very favourite colours, although it has taken a back seat lately while I binged on pink.


I cut traced a size large and added 5\8" seam allowances.  The only experience I've had with tracing multi-layered patterns has been with Ottobre magazine - a truly eye-bleeding experience.  The patterns in the Sweet Dress Book are overlapped, but clearly laid out.  It took me less half an hour to trace and add my seam allowances.


One of my favourite features of this dress are the front pleats.  I normally have a less than cordial relationship with pleats, but these are straightforward to sew.  I do stitch them down as I prefer this look.

I used some of the techniques from the Washi dress in this dress.  I sewed my patch pockets into the dress side seams.  This didn't work quite as well as with the Washi as my pockets are slightly too far back.  But, it's not enough to bother me and they're more than big enough to hold my phone. I also added shirring to the back to give a more fitted look.  The dress is so easy to pop over my head and go.  I plan on wearing this to work today with a pair of black flats.  Easy!


In short, I LOVE this dress!  I am so happy that I went with my gut and purchased several Japanese sewing books.  They are just what I have been looking for and I foresee a long and fruitful sewing relationship.

16 comments:

Janet said...

I love the dress. You look super comfortable and chic.

Sarah said...

Aw, thanks so much!

Leigh said...

Love it! I've been thinking about trying one of these books, too. Is there a good variety of patterns between the different ones? Its hard to tell from Amazon.

Jessica Hurst said...

How cute! And comfy! Red really suits you. Love it! Do you find the shirring difficult and time consuming? It always looks that way when I see it featured in a new make.

Heather said...

Super cute and it will be great with a cardigan and leggings for the colder months. The red looks great on you!

Sarah said...

There are a lot of variations on approximately 6 basic patterns. I like the Feminine Wardrobe, the Sweet Dress Book, and the Stylish Dress Book #3 the best.

Sarah said...

Shirring is so easy peasy! The most time-consuming bit is winding the bobbin with elastic thread.

Sarah said...

Thank you! I need more red in my wardrobe, methinks :)

misscrayolacreepy said...

I love the silhouette of that dress!

English Girl at Home said...

Loving your Japanese pattern book posts. I love the style of these books but haven't gotten around to making anything yet but you're definitely tempting me. I've even traced a first pattern!

Sarah said...

Thank you! I highly recommend Feminine Wardrobe and the Sweet Dress Book. Love them! Tracing is relatively quick and straightforward.

Sarah said...

Thank you, Erin! :)

SeamsOddLouise.Blogspot.com said...

This is lovely, I like the shirring at the back. I am making this pattern too. Nearly finished I'll blog soon.

Sarah said...

I love this pattern! It's comfy but still stylish. Looking forward to seeing yours.

SeamsOddLouise.Blogspot.com said...

I've posted my dress, I am really pleased with it. http://seamsoddlouise.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/dress-c-sweet-dress-book.html
It took me a little longer than it should have done, and my mind is now buzzing with ideas for the next version.

Sarah said...

I LOVE your version!