Wednesday, September 10, 2014

FESA 2014: Clementine


I did not think I would knit anything for FESA2014, never mind finish anything in such a short time, but all those lovely knits on Outlander are firing my knitting brain into overdrive!It started when Meg pinned this great wooly item.  I immediately fell in love with the concept and headed over to Ravelry to sort out logistics in my head.  It was this photo that cemented my plan for me. It's simple and I think it has big impact.  Most importantly, it's warm!! Winter gets freezing here and I need to keep my core warm.  This wooly lady will certainly do that for me, and more.


I used some sport weight Wool of the Andes from my stash and knit with the strands held double.  I used 5mm needles for the body and cast on enough stitches for a boxy fit.  I wear a lot of layers in the winter and I wanted Clementine to be able to accommodate these easily.  I cannot tell you how pleased I am with the end result!


I made sure to stop and stretch a lot during this knit as I do not want to re-injure my shoulder.  The yarn held double and big needles helped this to be a really quick knit, which was also a kindness to myself.  I love the vaguely 80's cropped sweater look!


The 'lace' in the body and sleeves is just simple knit and purl and eyelet stitches.  I did originally have it in the cowl, too, but ripped it back as it didn't look right.  I have one precious skein of pure angora in my stash and added it to finish the cowl.  I can freely admit I was scared to death to wet block this as I didn't want to destroy the fluffiness of the angora, but it turned out really well. 


Now, if it would only cool down enough for me to wear this!!

23 comments:

zilredloh said...

How pretty! Meg sure does find some great knitting inspiration & patterns out there to tease me with. :D

alibeecreations said...

Oh my word it's wonderful. I love the design, all those lovely little eyelets. And it's matches your Pan Am dress :) I am hoping to plan my FESA 2014 makes this weekend.
Ali xx

Laura Poehlman said...

I love how this turned out! I bet it's adorable on you!

Jessica Hurst said...

Wow! That is cute!

Sarah said...

Thank you! It's still too hot for me to model it - LOL!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much! If there's enough interest, I may offer the knitting pattern for Clementine.

I'm looking forward to seeing your FESA 2014 plan!

Sarah said...

She sure does! Her knitting pins are amazing!

Sarah C said...

Oh I love this! Now I want to knit one!

Cat Does It said...

A knit crop top, but of course!! It is lovely, now I have to have it.

Laura Poehlman said...

That's good news! No pressure..

Sarah said...

Thank you! I may be able to work out how to write up a pattern :)

Sarah said...

Thank you!

Heather said...

Cool idea! You are going to be so warm and toasty this winter! Great colour too!

EmSewCrazy said...

Oh my that's gorgeous! I want to make one but a bit longer... Lovely job!

Lisette said...

You didn't use a pattern? That's awesome! I love your version a lot.

Sarah said...

Nope! I went rogue and made my own pattern! LOL!

Sarah said...

Thank you!!

Sarah said...

Thank you very much!

Liz Bullock said...

That is such a lovely little top! I have limited myself to three tops for FESA, but I am tempted to either add this or throw out one of my planned makes for something like this!

STH said...

Oh, this is so pretty! Love the color, too.

Sarah said...

Thank you! If there is enough interest, I may write up the pattern :)

Sarah said...

Thank you so much!!

Allan Murray said...

Beautiful clothing and fabric, I bet it is cool to wear during winter and summer. Philippine call center services