Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I'm a Pan Am Stewardess!


This is my newest make and I love it! I also closely resemble a Pan Am stewardess.  No? You don't think so?  OK, let me take off the scarf....




See it now? Ha ha!  All jesting aside, I do love this dress.  Earlier this summer I bought 3 yards of stretch linen which turned out to be very s-t-r-e-t-c-h-y; seriously the stretchiest woven I've ever worked with! It's so fabulously stretchy that I did the Mena Test and can easily get this on without a zipper! Woo hoo!


I used Colette Patterns' Laurel dress, which is one of my favourites, and I added the pockets from the Ribbon Shift Dress.  It takes me about 3 hours from start to finish to make and always fits comfortably. The fabric sewed up beautifully, so much so that I wish I had had the foresight to get more in different colours!


I wore this dress to work today along with one of my new favourite things: leggings! It's gotten chilly in the mornings, much too cold for bare legs but too hot for tights, so leggings are a great compromise.  Thank you, Target, for having such soft cozy cotton ones in great colours! The brooch is one of my favourites from Luxulite.




This dress is so comfortable and easy to style, that I'm counting it as an unofficial FESA2014 make.  I know this will become a wardrobe staple for me; it is very easy to layer to work for the cooler months.

* * * * *

What's on your sewing table?
Have your started on your FESA2014 plan?

9 comments:

Carlee McTavish said...

Some curtains are on my table. Oh, joy. The excitement is palpable.

Kerry@Kestrel Finds & Makes said...

Cute, you can't beat a lovely dress like this, such a great basic you can dress up, like you have with your scarf and brooch

Heather said...

Cute and comfy - a great fall combo! The infinity scarf is super cool.

Sarah said...

It's sooooo stretchy and comfy! Thanks, Liz!

Sarah said...

Thank you!

Sarah said...

Thanks, Kerry! I think this will become a well-worn basic.

Sarah said...

LOL! Utilitarian sewing isn't very exciting.

Amanda Russell said...

I KNEW that was the Laurel!! I'd spot that beauty anywhere! Love the idea of stretch linen - that seriously sounds like the best thing ever - and a perfect match with this dress :) Love that you didn't need a zipper - awesome!

Sarah said...

Thank you!!! Stretch linen is awesomesauce - love it!