Monday, February 2, 2015

Clementine Gets an Outing



Remember Clementine? I knit her during this year's Fall Essentials Sew Along (FESA) and finally gave her an outing this week.  Clementine is self-drafted using this handy sweater generator and is knit with 2 strands of sport weight wool held together.  I wanted something slightly boxy, so I entered my bust measurements as 4" larger than normal.  I was even able to add some angora trim to the cowl neck - lovely!


I work in a business casual office, so I had no problem wearing this to work.  I wear a lot of layers in the cooler months, as temperatures from my house to the bus to the office vary greatly.  With temperatures hovering around -24C (-40C with the wind chill) of late, Clementine was just the thing to keep the chill off.   The yarn falls into my colour palette and it easily goes with most of my wardrobe.  I love the heathered teal colour and Wool of the Andes is always a pleasurable knit.



I have no idea why it took me so long to sew a Dolores top.  I sewed a size 12 and the only alteration I needed to make was to the lower sleeve width - I added an inch to that.  Apparently I have fat arms?  I dunno.  I also added a waistband as I like it snug to my body to prevent any rogue drafts from getting in there.  In any case, this pattern is excellent and sews up a treat.  Zoe provides clear instructions but, like a renegade, I went about it my own way.  I made 4 tops in one day and I'd guess it takes about an hour and a half from cutting to finishing per top.



Check out my practically perfect stripe matching! I normally don't give a rat's patootie about pattern matching but I did try a bit with this pattern.  I did manage to get the stripes to sew into perfect chevrons on the shoulder seam of the kimono sleeve.  Sewing knits are turning out to be rather arthritis-friendly, which is a huge bonus.



I plan on sewing a white version and an amethyst version of this top and then I think Dolores will have a well-deserved rest. Knit tops like this are a definite personal uniform staple for me.  This is a pretty typical cold weather outfit for me; definitely on weekends and sometimes as office wear .


* * * * *


Top: Dolores Batwing Pattern | Riley Blake Jersey Knit 1 /2" Stripes in Grey

Jumper: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Sport Yarn in Baltic Heather

Pants: RTW

2 comments:

Amanda Russell said...

oh my goodness, that sweater is adorable... such nice knitting work!! :D It looks amazing with your stripey tee! :D

Sarah said...

Thank you so much! I wore both so much this winter.