Wednesday, June 24, 2015

This May Be the Best Summer Dress Ever


This may be the best summer dress I've ever made.  Seriously.  I need to take a moment to pay myself on the back for this.  I combined a total of 4 patterns to get the look I wanted.  I know this looks like a really basic t-shirt maxi dress - and it is - but I wanted it to flow a certain way and have certain features.


I used the Renfrew top for the neckline, the Laurel dress for the bodice, the Anna dress for the sleeves, and vintage Simplicity 7341 for the skirt.  I wish I had taken a picture when I was cutting this out! I had previously merged the Laurel dress and Anna dress neckline and sleeves into a new pattern and I laid this over the skirt portion of the Simplicity pattern.  Then I folded back the Anna v-neckline and laid the Renfrew over that.  It may have been unnecessarily complicated but it made me feel like a sewing rock star!




I added an elastic waistband and can wear it with or without a belt.  Of course, if I have a chance to wear a pink bow belt, I will.  And my stripe matching? Pretty good in my book! 

18 comments:

Marilla Walker said...

This looks fantastic! I love the length, the sleeves, the neckline, the belt and anything else!!! Good job! :-)

Alexandra Cuckoo said...

This dress is just amazing! And it looks so good on you!

SeamsOddLouise.Blogspot.com said...

You are a sewing rock star. The shape of this is inspired and totally beautiful. Well done, this really suits you.

CathiM said...

Lovely! And totally genius of you to combine patterns to get what you want.

Heather said...

Such a fantastic dress - especially with your bow belt. Looks like it will be super nice and comfy!

Sarah said...

Oh, Marilla! Thank you so much! I admire your creativity & skill, so this is an extra special compliment :)

Sarah said...

Thank you!

Sarah said...

Louise, you lovely lady! Thank you!

Sarah said...

Thank you! I did feel pretty awesome winging all of them together.

Sarah said...

Thank you! It is definitely a secret pajama dress - my favourite kind.

Kirsty Splatt said...

This looks so good! I love the bow belt too. xx

Becky W said...

Great job with the pattern mash up!

Sarah said...

Thanks so much. The belt is one of my favourite thrifted finds.

Sarah said...

Thank you!!!!

ozzyblackbeard said...

Um, what?! You mashed four patterns together?! You're a sewing ninja!! Your dress is gorgeous, and I love how you cut the neck and sleeve bands. Lynne

misscrayolacreepy said...

This is my dream maxi dress, I love it!!!

Sarah said...

Oh, thank you! It's sooooo comfy! I think I may make another one :)

Sarah said...

Sewing ninja?! You've totally made my day!