Monday, September 28, 2015

Ruby Tuesday and Sewing Off List


We're two weeks into FESA and I finally have something to show for it.  Was it part of my original plan. Nope.  I went off list with this one.  What a sewing rebel!

Like any woman, random dissatisfaction with myself pops up now and again and I was looking for something to disguise my fuller tummy yet not feel like I was being swallowed by a giant muumuu.  The yoke and gathers on Ruby won me over. That Rae is one smart lady.  She understands that a woman's shape fluctuates often throughout their life - be it pregnancy, illness, or age changes - and she creates flattering patterns for us to sew. I fell in love with her Washi dress last year and this year's paramour is definitely Ruby.



It's an easy pattern to put together and sew.   I think it took me all of 8 minutes to cut and paste my pattern pieces together.  There are 3 pieces in the pattern, although you cut 4 in fabric.  The front and back bodice are the same piece with different fold lines to differentiate which I thought was really clever.  As with all Rae's patterns, they are clearly marked and laid out and the instructions are spot on.  With one read through, I felt very confident about my ability to turn out a pretty garment.


I made a size medium with a 1" slash-and-spread to accommodate my generous bum.  I could have blended between sizes but I prefer to slash-and-spread as I get better results.  The only other alteration I made was to self-line my bodice in my woven version.  I like the neat finish it gives at the neckline.  I used the shortened sleeve piece from the Washi Expansion Pack (still one of the best pattern investments I've ever made).


The fabric is a gorgeous rayon challis from Gillian.  It has horses on it.  And horseshoes.  She also gave me some lovely slate blue polka dot challis which I turned into an Akita (my third).  The fabric is an absolute monster to cut (slippery!) but, oh, my!, what a dream to wear and the drape?! Fabulous.  I adore the deep raspberry shade, too.  It's one of my favourite colours.



I took 3" off the hem to make it a tunic length for me.  I wore it to work today with leggings, ballet flats, and my favourite thrifted glass bead necklace.  I felt like a million dollars.  Seriously.  The fabric was lovely to wear with just the right amount of swish.  With my newly pinked bangs and glasses (OMG! I can SEE!), I smartly dressed and even a bit pretty.That's a feeling I would love to bottle.  Thank you, Rae.  Feeling like this is important, especially in clothing you've made yourself.   




Ruby and I are fast friends now.
* * * * *

What are you sewing?  Has fall arrived where you are?  Summer is still present and accounted for, although I do need to leave the house with a sweater in the mornings.  This makes me utterly gleeful.

No comments: