Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Queen and I


This fabric has been percolating in my brain for a few months.  I first saw in late summer during a small blogger get together and was struck by the uniqueness of the print.  As a Tudor enthusiast, the idea of turning Queen Elizabeth I into a neat handmade garment was too much to resist.    At first, I thought of making a Macaron dress with dotted Swiss yoke and sleeves but set that aside for my current pattern crush: Ruby.

As it happens to all of us at sometime or another, the best laid plans of mice and (wo)men often go awry.  In this case, it was Slow Fashion October that gave me pause.  While I haven't participated in the weekly reflection portion of this movement, I really responded to the focus of slow, thoughtful, and joyful crafting.  Too often, I can get caught up in the fast, fast, fast aspect of sewing and I find when I create in hyper speed, I rarely enjoy the fruits of those labours. So, to make a long story short, I decided to embrace slow crafting, changes in plans, and garments that take their time.




I took my time making this dress.  I washed the fabric one day.  Ironed it and cut it out on another.  I spread the sewing out over two days.  I though carefully about pattern placement on both the front and back of the dress and deliberately set my patch pockets lower as I didn't want them to disappear in the print.  I lined the dress in cotton voile for an extra layer of warmth.

This was my first project using both knit and woven fabrics.  I used a teeny tiny zig zag stitch when attaching the knit yoke to the woven body and finished the seam with my serger.  I self-lined the yoke instead of adding a neckline band.  The jersey fabric is a wonderfully soft.  I found it for less than $5/yard at Denver Fabrics.



With just over two weeks left in FESA, I know my output this year will be less than compared to other years, but the quality and my overall satisfaction is the highest it has ever been.  I love all the items I have made so far, especially my denim Ruby dress

No comments: