Thursday, June 23, 2016

Sylvie


Yesterday, I finished knitting my first ever shawl.  I love it!

I had never knitted shawl before thinking that they would not be practical for my wardrobe and that they were generally knit with 'skinny' yarn that is hard on my hands.  I was wrong on both counts.



This is the Miami Vice shawl.  I knit is as part of Katie and Erik's Void Shawl KAL.  Sadly, I couldn't knit the Void Shawl as the twisted stitches and knit fbf increases were too hard on my hands.

Miami Vice calls for either fingering or worsted weight yarn but I chose to use a sport weight yarn from my stash.  This is Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes Sport in Red.  This had been in my stash for ages and I had originally bought it to knit Pomegranate.  Sadly, I have developed a sensitivity to wool of late and a pullover knit with this will most likely never get worn.  Shawls, however, are a layering piece and have minimal direct contact with my skin.  I count that as winning!


I followed the instructions for worsted weight yarn and added an extra increase row and lace repeat to get the size I wanted.  I also chose to bind off after an increase round as I liked the more solid look of the edging.

There are mistakes in the lace but my perfectionist self actually doesn't mind this time.  I wanted the experience of knitting a shawl to see if I like it, as well as to have practice accepting minor mistakes now and then.  I'm pretty hard on myself when it comes to crafting perfection.



I knit this Continental style and I found the weight of all the stitches and fabric easy to work with.  I used a 4.5 mm circular needle as that's what felt best in my hands.  I played a mean game of yarn chicken during the bind off and managed to win by a 4" tail! Whew!  All told, I used 5 balls of yarn.  I love the impact of the simple lace pattern and rufflely edge.  I plan on bringing this piece with me when I visit England next year (cannot wait!!).
 
I knit this over a 3 week period, mostly whilst I was watching BBC's The Musketeer's final season.  I've named the shawl Sylvie after a very strong female character who I really enjoyed.  I won't post spoilers here just in case you haven't seen it all yet.  Trust me, though, watch it.  If you've never seen the series, seasons 1 and 2 are on NetflixTom Burke is magnificent as Athos.  I would happily pay good money to have access to BBC's iPlayer.  *sigh*

What's on your needles?

No comments: