Saturday, October 22, 2016

Morag


The more I knit the more I like to experiment with knitting.  That's where this jumper came from.  I had just finished my Anya cardigan (something I'm debating about publishing) and had fallen hard for Cascade yarns. It was August and I was in my local yarn store deciding on yarn for the Campside Shawl when I saw this beautiful green heathered yarn on their Cascade wall.  I was hooked. 

Isn't the colour gorgeous?! It's a really pretty pea green with yellow and slight turquoise highlights and, being Cascade yarn, knits up a treat.  The colour definitely inspired the lace pattern I chose.  I love nature-themed lace and cable patterns and knew they would be perfect for this project.  My daughter suggested that I use a pattern that looked similar to mint leaves as she was reminded of those by the yarn colour. 



I wanted to knit a pretty pullover, a basic workhorse in my fall wardrobe.  Something that goes with every item in my closet (or contrasts nicely) and can easily be pulled on.  No fuss, no fiddling.  Easy.  I think I got that with this sweater.  Today is the first day it's actually been cool enough to wear and I'm thrilled with it. 

It's a self-drafted pattern knit top down in the round on 4.5 mm needles with simple yarn over increases in the sleeves and body.  When I knit Camille earlier this year, I loved how the designer had incorporated the increases in the pattern in this fashion and putting the lace panels at the sleeves gives it a shape I love.  I've used this technique in several projects, as you can see from my Ravelry page.  If my teachers had used knitting and sewing as a tool to teach me math, I would have been much more successful in school, I'm sure!


I've been experimenting much more with self-drafted knitting lately and find it quite satisfying and rather adventurous as I never quite know if what I have in my head will translate into the knitted garment.   I had a lot of frogging and re-knitting with Anya (which I will blog about) but none with this one.  The cuffs and hem are knit with a beautiful basket weave cable pattern.  I love the asymmetry of it, as well as the texture.  I even used my hated DPNs to finish the sleeves on this project.  The feeling of wrestling octopuses (octopi?) was well worth it, though, as I love how they look.

I do have several other knitting projects to share with you, as well as a hat pattern that I sent out to very patient testers.  It was terrifying.  I'm not sure I'm cut out for publishing knitting patterns.  LOL!




As well as knitting and sewing, I have been deep in the caverns of jewellery making. I spent a bit of today photographing the many necklaces and bracelets I've made.  I'll be listing them in my Etsy shop shortly. 


In the meantime, what have you been making?  I've been working away on adding quality, wearable pieces to my fall wardrobe and honing my core style for this season.

No comments: