Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Yoda Socks


Friends, I am an official sock knitting addict.  It's true! Never in a million years did I think that knitting socks would be so satisfying!  To date, I've knit four pairs and have another on the needles. My daughter has also fallen in love with handknit socks, as well as merino yarn.  My mulled socks and aloha socks now reside on her feet and in her sock drawer, respectively.  She finds the Opal yarn too scratchy, so at least I now have 2 pairs for myself - LOL!

For this pair of socks, I used Opal Yarn's Illusion in the Sportpilot colourway.  The green reminds me of Yoda!  I'm sure wearing these socks will miraculously give me the power to fight epic lifesaber battles and use atrocious grammer.  One can hope, right?


Opal sock yarn knits up beautifully and is definitely worthy of its excellent reputation.  It keeps my feet toasty warm and, I swear, this is the first winter in years that I've had warm feet! I like this colourway from the Illusion yarn, but I think that the Sweet & Spicy yarns pack more of a punch and I would definitely like to try more. 

I am so grateful that I can knit.  I can't sew as much as I used to anymore; my stamina just isn't the same, but knitting is something I can do, especially when I'm up because of painsomnia.  It gives me a great feeling of accomplishment :)  I am really enjoying knitting Winwick Mum's Basic Sock pattern and I'm sure one day I will migrate to lace and/or cabled socks, but for now, the allure of watching the colours of self-striping yarn unfold is very satisfying.



I did; however, take the time to whip myself up a couple of nice project bags as the large size Ziploc bags I have been using for years are, quite frankly, boring! This cherry print has been in my stash for at least a couple of years and I always have at least a zillion zippers on hand. Now I can take my knitting with me to my next LYS knit night and not look like the throwaway child, as my grandma used to say. 

The pair on the needles is for my daughter and I'm using Knit Picks' Hawthorne Fingering Kettle Dyed yarn in Turkish Delight.  I rotate when knitting socks now; one pair for her and one pair for me. 

What's on your needles? 

No comments: