Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Pink Polka Dot Maya Top


Long time readers will know that hot pink is a neutral in my wardrobe, so it's no surprise that today I'm sharing another pink themed garment.

Over the last few months, I have been slowly sewing a small collection of Marilla Walker's Maya Tops.  As Katie said in a recent Love to Sew podcast, if Marilla Walker became my personal pattern designer, I would love it! The Maya top is a beautiful example of simplicity in both design and construction.  It has lovely design details like kimono sleeves and a curved hem.  



I sewed up my small collection in a mix of quilting cottons and brushed cottons.  The brushed cottons are heavenly soft (insert heart eye emoji here) and were perfect during my flare times this summer.  I like how polished the top looks with a smart pair of linen pants (my summer uniform) but it looks equally nice with a pair of my favourite Hudson Pants.  The overall fit is easy and comfortable to wear and never felt constricting, which is a must for me.  I would love to sew a version in a drapey rayon.

From L to R: second wearable muslin, rose print quilting cotton, rose print brushed cotton
As with all my makes, I made a  muslin first.  Initially, I overestimated my measurements and made a size 7 and I was swimming in it.  I traced a size 6 and made a second muslin out of remnants of a beautiful Michael Miller print and the sizing was spot on!

I took my time making each one.  Cutting out the fabric one day and sewing it over the course of a few days, with a lot of breaks in between.  Marilla's instructions are easy to follow and yields a beautiful finish both inside and out.  This truly has become a TNT pattern for me and I am seriously considering making one out of French Terry as a layering piece for the cooler months.

Worn with my M2375 cropped linen trousers
I really do need to make a pair of her Roberts dungarees.  Wouldn't they be perfect in linen for spring and summer or a hot pink denim for fall and winter? Have you sewn with Marilla's patterns?  Which are your favourite(s)?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...