Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Social Climber Fen Top


I made a thing!  Hallelujah, I can still make things! It takes me about 2 weeks to sew a garment nowadays.  While that does make me feel frustrated sometimes, I am trying to be positive and embrace the slow.  That being said, I chose to sew this top with French seams and it was so satisfying. This is the first garment I've finished for my fall/winter capsule.  

I'm coming out of a period of really only wearing blues and greys, which was probably indicative of my mood over the last year, and I'm definitely feeling ready to bring back bold colour.  As hot pink is a neutral in my wardrobe, I knew that this beautiful fabric would match well.  It's called Social Climber and it's part of Anna Maria Horner's Floral Retrospectives collection.  I fell in love with this fabric several years ago when I came across this beautiful dress.  Isn't it stunning?  I've had it pinned on Pinterest and when I saw the same fabric pop up at my local fabric store, Needlework, I knew it was the perfect time to add it to my wardrobe.  


I had originally planned to make a Scout Tee from this fabric but I went with the Fen Top as I knew I would get more wear from it with longer sleeves.  Frankly, I'm too lazy to draft long sleeves for the Scout and I like the slightly boxier fit of the Fen.  I sprung for the printed version and I'm so glad I did as it was a dream to trace!  I made a size 12, flaring out to a size 14 at the hips.  I chose the shirttail hem as it reminds me of my beloved Marilla Walker Maya tops which have become a summer staple.  My wearable muslin stitched up like a dream and I'm happy to say it required to fit alterations!  Can I get a hell, yeah?


I love how the rich mustard gold compliments the hot pink roses.  I'm wearing it here with my favourite pink crops - McCalls 2735 in a lightweight cotton twill - another wardrobe staple.  I liked this combination so much that I ordered some hot pink stretch denim to make a pair of pants for fall/winter so that I have have a pair for every season. 


Next up are Renfrew Tops in yummy stripes.  If you're interested in seeing more of my sewing plans for fall/winter, I've listed them in my Textillia queue

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Ooo! Your top is fabulous! Loving that fabric, the flowers are gorgeous.

Alessa said...

Great fabric choice, such a happy looking outfit! :-)

Becky said...

It's such a happy shirt! And honestly, though my reasons are different, finishing a project in 2 weeks sounds pretty good to me right now!

Sarah Sparkles said...

@Lynne - Thank you!
@Alessa - Thank you!!
@Becky - you're right! Two weeks is more than reasonable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...