Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Dottie Angel Tunics

Dottie Angel tunic worn with a Briar Top in ribbed knit

I've got another pink make to share with you today!  Pink really is my happy colour and when I'm well enough to sew, I'm darn well going to work with something that makes me feel good :)

This is my most recent Simplicity 1080; otherwise, known as the Dottie Angel Dress.  I started working on these late last fall and slowly plugged away at them over the ensuing months.  I sewed them tunic length as that is the most versatile for me.  In the warmer months, I wore these layered over my favourite linen cropped pants and now that it's *finally* cooler, I'll layer them up with jeans, long sleeved tees, and sweaters/cardigans.

This poor pink version was really a labour of love. Originally, it has a contrast hem panel with contrasting pockets.  I wore it and hated it.  I ripped off the pockets and sewed new ones that matched the contrast panel and hated that, too.  Finally, after sitting in my sewing cupboard for a few months, I realized that I don't like contrast hem panels but I do love a good contrast pocket!  Off came the hated hem panel and coordinating pockets.  Fortunately, I had enough of the pink fabric left to sew a matching panel and I'm especially pleased that I was able to get the pockets out of scraps left over from my Fen top.  With some creative cutting, I was able to have enough matching bias tape to cover the raw edges.

My favourite pockets! I put them on everything!

I sewed a size medium and made a few modifications.  I raised the neckline slightly and brought in the shoulders a bit.  I found that the neckline was quite wide and tended to slip off my shoulders - definitely not the look I was going for.  I also changed the sleeves from cap to kimono using the Christine Haynes' Lottie pattern.  While I do like cap sleeves, I don't like the way they're constructed on this tunic.  The side seam is sewn and then stopped just short of the underarm and then the sleeves' raw edges are turned under.  I find that this puts a lot of stress on the underarm seam and it inevitably rips.  Maybe I just have Hulk shoulders?


I also lengthened the side ties to be able to wrap right around my waist and tie in the front.  It's easier for me to tie them like this rather than contorting myself to tie them in the back. LOL!  Please excuse the wrinkles but I had been wearing this one for a while when we took the photos.

I really like this pattern for a lot of reasons.  It's simple to sew; a basic A-line shape with bias tape used instead of facings.  It's easily hacked to create new looks and it flatters many different body types. It's also incredibly versatile as it layers easily and can be worn all year round.  I really like the big pockets as they hold a lot of things, including my phone and a ball of yarn!

L-R: black brushed cotton, red quilting cotton, navy brushed cotton
Just to prove that I do sew with other colours (ha ha), here is a snippet of the three other tunics I've made.  Each gets a lot of wear and are very comfortable.  I fell in love with brushed cotton this year, and now have several tunics and tops in my wardrobe.  The black tunic (on the left) was inspired by this one made by Tif, aka, Dottie Angel, herself. 

That lovely red one in the middle has a tone-on-tone brocade pattern with gold accents.  It sparkles in the light! The pockets are made using a pretty rose print cotton remnant that I've had in my stash for at least 10 years.  I livened up the navy one with giant red rick rack trim around the pockets. 

What do you think of the Dottie Angel dress?  Have you made it?  What about her other patterns?  I love Wrong Doll's and Laura Mae's quilted coats.  Aren't they amazing??

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...