Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Mist Jumper


I knit this jumper late last year (I finished it just after Christmas) and wore it constantly until the weather warmed up.  I finally managed to block it just a few weeks ago and now that it's 'presentable,' I'd like to share it with you.

Mist is a self-drafted, top-down, seamless, raglan sleeve jumper, which is my very favourite to knit and wear.  This was definitely a therapeutic knit as I was flaring during  this time and my pain level was high.  I needed to knit SOMETHING to distract myself.  My amazing husband, Chris, took me to my local yarn store, where I saw this yarn winking at me from their Cascade wall.  I think all the best yarn stores have a Cascade wall, don't you? 

This particular yarn is Indigo Heather and is really a yarn chameleon.  Up on the wall, the yarn looked like a very pale periwinkle, but when Tracy brought the skeins down for me, it seems to change to silver grey. When we took the photographs, it looked icy blue. It's gorgeous no matter what colour it decides to show off. I really love Cascade 220 in both the solids and heathers.  It's such a lovely yarn to knit with, has great stitch definition, blocks up to a soft fabric, and has a veritable rainbow of colours available.


As I said, it's a self-drafted knit and it's pretty rare that I follow a sweater or cardigan worsted weight pattern anymore, as I've come up with a formula that works for my personal knits.  I do love to experiment with my knits (see my Morag jumper) and I end up with a garment I love...most times.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes the design fights me, or vice versa, and there is a lot of ripping back, but it's really worth it.  I find free wheeling my knits really engages my mind; from calculating the increases to determining the optimal stitch pattern, to pulling bits and pieces from my favourite patterns.

Mist is an amalgamation of all of that.  The pretty scalloped neckline is from the Genevieve Pullover, the front and cuff lace pattern is from the Meret beret, and the hem pattern is from my Vogue Knitting Stitchionary knit & purl volume.  It's the sugar cube stitch, which I converted to be knit in the round and used again on my Harriet pullover.


I worked simple yarn overs as the increases in the raglan seams and changed it to either ssk, yo or k2tog, yo for the rest of the body.  It was engrossing enough to keep my interest peaked but not so difficult that I couldn't watch Netflix while knitting.  That's an essential for me - gotta have the Netflix. 

I am really pleased with the end result and, as I said above, I wore it constantly last winter and early spring.  Now that the fall weather seems to have finally arrived (I am so sick of heat and humidity), I know that this will be in heavy rotation again.

I've just finished the Ophelia Vest using Rowan Pure Wool Superwash in a fantastic bright yellow and have another self-drafted vest on the needles using Cascade 220 in magenta.  Plus, I've always got a sock on the needles.  What have you been knitting lately?  Any dream knitting patterns you've come across?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...