Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Emmeline and a Rainbow Renfrew


Despite the woes of crafting with chronic illness, as I talked about in a recent post, I have been able to do a bit of sewing lately in small spurts with long rests in between.  I saw my Rheumatologist recently who confirmed that I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Fibromyalgia, which explains the chronic pain I've been experiencing for several years outside of the arthritis pain.  It feels so good to finally know my official diagnoses and validate all that I have been experiencing as a patient.  I am so glad I trusted my gut and asked for a second opinion.  My new Rhuematologist is thorough, compassionate, and a good listener.  He immediately realized that my quality of life has been seriously impacted by this and took both the necessary and extraordinary steps to find solutions.  I feel so blessed and relieved to be under his care.  Now I can begin the business of finding out how to live well with both of these diseases.  If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. 

Now, back to the knitting and sewing!  First up is Emmeline, which is another self-drafted pattern.   I knit the vest from the bottom up using Cascade 220 in a gorgeous, bright magenta.  I chose a simple double braid cable for the central motif and bracketed it with panels of seed stitch and simple cables.  This is the first time I've knit a braided cable and I'm happy to say that there was only one frogging incident.  Once my knitting muscle memory kicked in, it became a relaxing knit. 

Keeping my core warm in the cold months really helps my chronic pain and I wanted another vest in my wardrobe besides Harriet. I debated about adding a cowl neck, but ultimately decided that a plain neck would be the most versatile and I can always layer on a cowl/snood if I choose. Fuschia and magenta really are my neutrals and add a much needed punch to my cool weather garments.  I wore it today with my Anya Cardigan layered over top and was nice and toasty.


Next up is a rainbow stripe Renfrew Top.  This is a TNT pattern for me as I like the fit, the construction, and its easy hack-ability.  I essentially live in Renfrew Tops in the cool months as they are comfortable and go with everything in my closet. I sewed the scoop neck version with 3/4 length sleeves.  The only blip in the process was that my cuffs turned out slightly too big and bell out too much.  I will cut them off and resew them, but, for now, I'm just rolling up my sleeves.

This gorgeous rainbow jersey knit is from one of my new favourite online fabric shops: L'Oiseau Fabrics. They have an exceptional array of colours and prints available and the quality is top notch.  This is, in truth, one of the nicest jerseys I have ever sewn with.  The fact that I sourced it from a small Canadian business makes me feel good, as I have been trying to reduce my carbon footprint in sourcing sewing and knitting materials. I highly recommend them for all their fabrics.  

This top was one of my three Fall Basics garments and I'm really pleased with it.  I'm looking forward to sewing another Renfrew with this yellow striped jersey, also from L'Oiseau, and I have my eye on this green striped jersey, as well.  What are your plans for fall and winter making?  Any pattern recommendations?  I'd love to know!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...