Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Happy Poppies


Hi everyone!  Welcome back!  I'd like to start off by saying that being able to sew again, even in little fits and starts, has made me feel so HAPPY!! Just being able to sit down and create something I've been imagining is so empowering, isn't it? I've got another Fen Dress to share with you today.  Like my plaid version, I used double gauze for this one.  I freely admit to falling down the double gauze rabbit hole lately and I finally understand why so many of you rave about this beautiful fabric.  This particular fabric is from Distinctive Sewing Supplies and it's very reasonably priced at $15 per metre.  I was able to make this dress from a mere 1.5 metres of fabric!


Ever since completing Colette's Wardrobe Architect the second time around, I have really stuck to my main colour palette of pink/navy/mustard when shopping for making supplies. While this fabric leans more toward the coral side of pink, it works really well with my existing wardrobe and has injected some much needed brightness into my handmade dresses. As you can see, it goes really well with my Lillian cardigan.


I love the full gathered skirt as it reminds me of all the fit and flare dresses I used to make and wear before I got sick.  I love how this dress pulls in parts of the old me and melds it with the new.  I ended up donating the bulk of my BI (before illness) wardrobe to my local thrift store as they no longer fit and I do hope that those dresses found new life with new owners.  To have found a pattern that emulates that beloved style but fits my new shape and lifestyle is so gratifying.  I feel as though I got back a little bit of me. 


I wore the dress today with comfy navy leggings and one of my favourite me made necklaces. I started playing around with polymer clay just before Christmas last year and I really enjoy working with it. It's such a versatile medium and gives a good workout to my hands and my brain when my body isn't up to more full contact crafting. I made all the clay beads and the big orange rose and strung them with glass beads from my collection.  I strung it asymmetrically as it reminded me of a necklace I saw on Etsy that I loved.

As for further sewing projects, I have a Fen top/dress refashion in progress and I found a pattern recently that's very similar to the Pyne & Smith dresses that I love, I just need to hack it to have a button placket.  I've treated myself to two dress lengths of Rifle Paper Co. fabric - one in rayon (similar here) and one in cotton - and the cotton print will become a summer dress very soon. 

On the knitting front, I'm working away on my West Bluff shawl and am almost ready to blend in my third colour.  I'm planning on casting on the Campside Cardi shortly using some beautiful midnight blue heather yarn from my stash.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...